Escargot

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Has anyone found a resto where they serve fresh local Escargot?  I have so many big ones around here I thought maybe we could start a wholesale business.

DSCN2312-001.JPG

chris49
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Has anyone found a resto where they serve fresh local Escargot?  I have so many big ones around here I thought maybe we could start a wholesale business.

DSCN2312-001.JPG

We get 'em out of the rice field after the flood goes down. A very nice delicacy, but in no way would I compare them to French snails, they are much tougher and bit rubbery to chew on. Very similar to the one you pictured, brother in law had a bucket full the other day, but I didn't get any. Probably used as pulatan in a drinking session, which I avoid.

We have another type from the river bed, out of season right now. More like a shellfish but with the taste of a snail

Also field mushrooms which are being collected right now. And no bargain either, 200 pesos per kg or by bucket up to 300. Per my observation neither makes it to a restaurant. The mushrooms also a bit tough although the flavor, fried in butter is quite good.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have so many big ones around here I thought maybe we could start a wholesale business.

If you want to cook them up, here's a recipe I googled :hystery:

https://boopolspage.wordpress.com/tag/philippine-dishes-escargot-edible-snail-kuhol-exotic-food/

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My wife says on Bohol they eat the ones from the corn field because they are nice an clean!  The ones here in the city eat all kinds of cr*p so eating is not advised!

Tried them in Paris a few times.  OK but not my normal cup of tea!

chris49
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

My wife says on Bohol they eat the ones from the corn field because they are nice an clean!  The ones here in the city eat all kinds of cr*p so eating is not advised!

They are very clean Don, even the shells are shiny, usually picked up after a heavy rain.

As for original French snails, in a higher class restaurant, I rate them highly. It's been a few years, but probably as an entrée before the main course. With a well chilled bottle of Aussie Chardonnay or Chablis. Rapsa sobra, but not really seen in any restaurants in the Philippines, as you said in the OP.

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Jerry Pournelle used to have a column about living off the land and he suggested if you are going to eat snails toss them in a bucket with some corn meal for a few days to clean out their alimentary tract. Those from a corn field are probably good to go.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

Jerry Pournelle used to have a column about living off the land and he suggested if you are going to eat snails toss them in a bucket with some corn meal for a few days to clean out their alimentary tract. Those from a corn field are probably good to go.

That one I took the picture of cleaned out his alimentary tract on my wall and I certainly would not want to be eating what I saw there!  

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

There's a vacant house near mine that has a lot of them crawling up the side of the walls. I wouldn't eat any. I don't even eat oysters or clams. I don't care to try caviar , either or sushi.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, chris49 said:

As for original French snails, in a higher class restaurant, I rate them highly.

I agree, but I believe its the sauce that makes them tasty.  The escargot by themselves are rather tasteless but they seem to absorb flavors like Tofu does.

I also like frogs legs in Paris, but I would be hesitant to eat them if served in Philippines.

robert k
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I agree, but I believe its the sauce that makes them tasty.  The escargot by themselves are rather tasteless but they seem to absorb flavors like Tofu does.

I also like frogs legs in Paris, but I would be hesitant to eat them if served in Philippines.

I think I have heard frog called "mountain chicken" in the Philippines.

• Like 1