Renting a house in Cebu City

DavidK
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I thought I posted this question before but maybe not.  What kind of apartment would rent for 131,000 pesos (~2,800 USD)?  Huge, super luxury, private pool, private elevator, etc.?

None of the above. It's just a normal sized 3-bedroom apartment in a very good location with fibre-optic internet connection. There's a bit of a shortage of 3-bedroom apartments, the vast majority coming available or about to come available in the near future are 2-bedroom only.  

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ouch!  For that much you should be able to rent a nice estate in a very exclusive subdivision..!

• Like 2

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I thought I posted this question before but maybe not.  What kind of apartment would rent for 131,000 pesos (~2,800 USD)?  Huge, super luxury, private pool, private elevator, etc.?

Not at all unfortunately. Best way to demonstrate that the Philippines isn't cheap when you want Western quality. 100-150'000 PHP/m in central Manila and Cebu are just normal apartments, high quality and large floor space of course, but other than that no different to any other. 

http://www.zipmatch.com/listings/condominium-for-rent-at-marco-polo-residences-58252

http://www.zipmatch.com/listings/condominium-for-rent-at-bellagio-three-in-taguig-city-64625

These places cost about 20-30M PHP by the way... so really not cheap whatever way you look at it. Could afford you a nice house in many parts of Europe. 

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, afathertobe said:

Best way to demonstrate that the Philippines isn't cheap when you want Western quality

Also the best way to demonstrate the reason for getting out of Manila or Cebu.

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, afathertobe said:

These places cost about 20-30M PHP by the way... so really not cheap whatever way you look at it. Could afford you a nice house in many parts of Europe

Or a parking space in Central London.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/29/2016 at 4:01 PM, DavidK said:

None of the above. It's just a normal sized 3-bedroom apartment in a very good location with fibre-optic internet connection. There's a bit of a shortage of 3-bedroom apartments, the vast majority coming available or about to come available in the near future are 2-bedroom only.  

2 hours ago, RBM said:

Ovoid near garbage shoot, elevator, what are my neighbours like and so on. It's not for everyone and when one considers same monies can purchase a home with green grass and heaps room I found dead it a no brained.  This after living 3 years in a condo.

The one thing which is cheap here is labour, Maids gardeners and such can cost a lot less than conventional dues. One other mention is there are available various protections for the payer of of a lot which to do not contradict the law of foreign ownership, how ever one must be sure of his relationship.

Copied the above post of RBM's from another condo topic.

The OP was asking about houses, not condos, so we are getting a bit off topic with the condos.

About 4 years ago we toured some Cebu City houses with a recommended real estate agent.  We were not happy with the agent because she took us only to houses that were out of our budget (and probably her listing!).  She showed us a couple that were really big and nice for around p60,000.

Regarding a "standard" 3 br condo for p130,000, I can't imagine who the market renter is for that.  Surely not retired expats, no matter how good the location is.  Wealthy "money is not a concern" Filipinos?  RBM described it as a "no brainer" to go for a nice house for half that.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Copied the above post of RBM's from another condo topic.

The OP was asking about houses, not condos, so we are getting a bit off topic with the condos.

About 4 years ago we toured some Cebu City houses with a recommended real estate agent.  We were not happy with the agent because she took us only to houses that were out of our budget (and probably her listing!).  She showed us a couple that were really big and nice for around p60,000.

Regarding a "standard" 3 br condo for p130,000, I can't imagine who the market renter is for that.  Surely not retired expats, no matter how good the location is.  Wealthy "money is not a concern" Filipinos?  RBM described it as a "no brainer" to go for a nice house for half that.

Maybe someone who paid that much for a crawl space in New York city would pay that much?

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Corporate let. Working expats expect quality accommodation in convenient locations and when the company is paying.......

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, DavidK said:

Corporate let. Working expats expect quality accommodation in convenient locations and when the company is paying.......

Yes, I thought of that but corporations have limits too.  An executive might get that kind of allowance.

However, I suspect it must be a very nice place and the rent probably includes the very high association fee.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
On 9/1/2016 at 8:23 PM, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I thought of that but corporations have limits too.

if I was the CEO of a Company I would certainly have my Staff Looking for lower Rents

• Like 2