Flat tire on Motorcycle

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I always carry a spare tire with me. :nudie:Started out as a bicycle tire but good for a SUV these days. :SugarwareZ-047: I wish I could get the damn thing to go flat... maybe one day. :Caught:

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 8/21/2016 at 6:14 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Perhaps I should switch to tubeless tires?  I have resisted the compulsion to switch to tubeless as there are few tire repair places that work on tubeless tires so it may restrict a person to either fixing it themselves, buying a new tire, or searching harder for a tubeless repair person.

What about other members?  Tubeless or tube type motorcycle tires?

Dave as a previous poster said, you're extremely fortunate. Mostly sold here are cheap Chinese tubes, result, seams split, commonly described as a factory defect. For a little more there a Thai tubes (forgot name) which are seamless.

Tubeless are far safer and better, agree can be a bit bitch to repair how ever stop an go is available, cheap and easy to use.To convert would require a new rim or a considerable amount of work, small bike not worth it.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, RBM said:

.To convert would require a new rim or a considerable amount of work, small bike not worth it.

Not so on the RUSIs.  Many of them (maybe all of the new ones now?) have aluminum alloy rims with no spokes and can be easily converted by simply buying the tire and a special filling nipple (bin der dun dat on my ex's RUSI)

My past experience is similar to what you describe.  When I switched the other bike to tubeless I did not get any flats.  BUT I was constantly nervous about driving in areas far from a tubeless tire repair shop.  Silly me, I suppose.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

This topic reminds me of a time back home when as we were walking we noticed a guy removing a tire that was completely demolished. I mean, it was totally wasted with just a little bit of rubber around the wheel. We could not help but say "WOW". That is when the guy looked up at us and said, " guess who drove this car all the way from the mall on  flat tire?" . No need to wonder. I'm sure the wife had an explanation. 

• Like 3

Nephi
Posted
Posted
On 8/21/2016 at 6:14 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Perhaps I should switch to tubeless tires?  I have resisted the compulsion to switch to tubeless as there are few tire repair places that work on tubeless tires so it may restrict a person to either fixing it themselves, buying a new tire, or searching harder for a tubeless repair person.

What about other members?  Tubeless or tube type motorcycle tires?

So far as I know and have found, all motorcycle tires have or require tubes. I hate these P700 junk tires. Even a bamboo stick or small piece of bailing wire will go right through. Continental brand tires are not available here that I have found; but would recommend Dunlop if you have a dealer close by. More expensive but no more flats. We use this Motoposh 155cc with sidecar and is prone to flats with us and all the kids on it so good tires are a must.

399334_178576325620046_1780684728_n.jpg

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
On 8/21/2016 at 2:54 PM, Gratefuled said:

They sell a small aerosol can of FLAT FIX. Available at most stores that carry auto parts accessories. I don't know the exact name of it here but I always had one with me back home.

I've looked for the fix a flat can but have never located one here.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When I switched the other bike to tubeless I did not get any flats.

26 minutes ago, Nephi said:

So far as I know and have found, all motorcycle tires have or require tubes. I hate these P700 junk tires.

I switched out that tire I mentioned in 2013 from tube type to tubeless for 900 pesos in Naval. Biliran.  I rode around on that motorcycle for 6 months with no leaks and no flats.  Its not a long time test, I admit that.  

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I switched out that tire I mentioned in 2013 from tube type to tubeless for 900 pesos in Naval. Biliran.  I rode around on that motorcycle for 6 months with no leaks and no flats.  Its not a long time test, I admit that.  

Some tires are better than others I guess. Just bothers be with my wife and kids along. We often times end up on back country dirt and gravel roads where there is not even a farm in sight. Too far for this old man to walk for help. Having good, reliable tires gives me a sense of security considering were end up coming home on those roads long after dark and not much traffic out there to flag down for a ride.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Nephi said:

I've looked for the fix a flat can but have never located one here.

I saw some at a hardware store in a Gaisano store, not the hardware section of the dept store.

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

I saw some at a hardware store in a Gaisano store, not the hardware section of the dept store.

Ak, okay-thanks. I'll have a look the next time in there. Maybe True Value might have it as well..

Thanks again..

• Like 2