Filipino/a IQ

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, chris49 said:

So firstly what chance do these kids have of even being sent to school through HS.

That is why it makes me happy when I hear about expats contributing to the education needs of friends, family or even strangers.  A decent education will help them get out of that rut.  That's is a lot more helpful than complaining about low IQ.

• Like 5

davewe
Posted
Posted

I too appreciate the OP's sentiments. When I read the topic title I rolled my eyes and thought 'Oh no, another expat complaining about stupid Filipinos.' 

To state what I believe is obvious, IQ is measured by standardized tests, created by Westerners to measure (imperfectly) what we consider indicators of intelligence. When I was a kid no teacher was allowed to let a student know his IQ for fear that it would permanently alter his/her view of himself. One day I snuck up to the teacher's desk and looked up my records, discovering my IQ. That information + $3 gets me a cup of coffee at any Starbucks!

Most of my friends married to Pinays acknowledge that their wives are smarter than they are. Not necessarily in what the standardized tests measure, but in common sense matters. 

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Okay, let's try a something different with the tests.  After completeing the test in your home country, English, now take the same test in Tagalog.  How did you do?  The Philippine student taking a test in Tagalog, then the same test in English. Well now, don't we feel dumb?:89:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Okay, let's try a something different with the tests.  After completeing the test in your home country, English, now take the same test in Tagalog.  How did you do?  The Philippine student taking a test in Tagalog, then the same test in English. Well now, don't we feel dumb?:89:

I just finished.  I got 190 on both.  Is that good? :hystery:

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I just finished.  I got 190 on both.  Is that good? :hystery:

Haha. You cheated and copied Jose paper.:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

A high OK is useful if you want to be able to work out the square root of a banana but can you peel one?

I can seriously see the so called IQ in the West plummeting rapidly due to the welfare systems in place. I've been noticing over the last 10 to 15yrs that the ones that have left school with higher grades and gone onto high paid jobs are too busy working to pay for their nice car and house to have kids. They've worked out the cost and affect to their career and more and more are putting off having children until at times it's too late.

On the other side we have people that left school with no qualifications and are deemed unemployable., They get a free house and benefits paid by the tax payer and  have just enough IQ to realise that the more children they have the more benefits they get.  To them it's a win win situation. They can get more in benefits than they could ever receive in jobs that would employ people with no qualifications. We're now seeing 2nd and at times 3rd generation where no one has worked in a household. These people are soon going to become the majority of the population until there's not enough tax payers to cover their lifestyle.

• Like 4

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

These people are soon going to become the majority of the population until there's not enough tax payers to cover their lifestyle.

The theme of a 1950s SF story "The Marching Morons"

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

They can get more in benefits than they could ever receive in jobs that would employ people with no qualifications. We're now seeing 2nd and at times 3rd generation where no one has worked in a household. These people are soon going to become the majority of the population until there's not enough tax payers to cover their lifestyle.

Isn't that just the problem though, Successive Governments all over the World can always find the cash to support those that have never joined the Real Working World. And have ready excuses as to why it is paid out. Unlike here in the PI no Job no Rice, so it is steal or Beg! The Welfare State is fine if it is Distributed right But...........................:huh:

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

image.jpeg

• Like 2