How much to start a cafe in Cebu?

chris49
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, instates69 said:

No Filipina spouse.  

Anything could be done legally. And anything has a risk attached.

$25000 which is the high estimate of initial investment. Is also @ $2000 USD per month about a year of reasonably good living in the Philippines.

So take the $25 k and live here.

Or put the $25 k into a business and take the risk

Such projects cannot be done extremely cheaply. One major stumbling block is the venue. The better venues cost more and may or may not be available.

But it could be done sure. Maybe good to live here 5-6 months first though. To get the feel of the place.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 10/26/2016 at 10:55 AM, instates69 said:

start a small/med cafe in Cebu

As I understand Republic Act 8762, foreigners may own NO part of a small capital food establishment.  Here is a link 

http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2000/ra_8762_2000.html

Section 10. Prohibited Activities of Qualified Foreign Retailers. – Qualified foreign retailers shall not be allowed to engage in certain retailing activities outside their accredited stores through the use of mobile or rolling stores or carts, the use of sales representatives, door-to-door selling, restaurants and sari-sari stores and such other similar retailing activities: Provided, That a detailed list of prohibited activities shall hereafter be formulated by the DTI

People get around this by lending money to their filipina wife and putting everything in her name but if you try to get around the law any other way you are just begging to be ripped off.  At least that's how I see it.

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

People get around this by lending money to their filipina wife and putting everything in her name but if you try to get around the law any other way you are just begging to be ripped off.  At least that's how I see it.

Sometimes nobody understands that there are better ways and its pointless telling anyone on a forum as most have spent years reading the same thing over and over and its embedded in their head just like the, you want to make a million, then spend 2 million. 

I dont bother now as what ever will be will be but look around at all the expat business in Cebu for example, I guess they have no idea. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

look around at all the expat business in Cebu for example, I guess they have no idea. 

Sure they do.  They just use other people's money :hystery:

• Like 1

Domino22
Posted
Posted

I do not plan on opening a business when I retire. But I did have a thought that if I got bored what would I do. I have a plan but here is the deal. You may be able to own 40% of the business but you could own 100% of the assets and they are leased to the business. So if Sh$t goes sideways take your assets and walk away.

Domino22
Posted
Posted

Side note; I will give an example and I would never do a food business and will not say what I would really do. So if you own all the tables stoves pots and pans etc and lease it to the restaurant/partner etc and it goes bad take it all home and walk. Now that said you could get killed by family members etc. So retire and do not piss off anyone!

robert k
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Domino22 said:

I do not plan on opening a business when I retire. But I did have a thought that if I got bored what would I do. I have a plan but here is the deal. You may be able to own 40% of the business but you could own 100% of the assets and they are leased to the business. So if Sh$t goes sideways take your assets and walk away.

Sounds like a good plan except....you got a license to run a business leasing restaurant equipment? Your leasing business is 60% Filipino owned, isn't it?

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Google Philippine Classified Ads. Then look under business for sale / internet café. This is useful for several reasons. Buying used equipment, taking over an existing location (MUST) be near a school if possible.... Seeing a concentration of small cafes in a small area, none successful due to too much competition.

As for computers, gaming is the thing and the faster your computers are, the more use they will get.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Google Philippine Classified Ads. Then look under business for sale / internet café.

This is the first I have seen "Internet" mentioned in this thread.  An Internet cafe and just a cafe are 2 different things with different regulations.  Good suggestion.

davewe
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

People get around this by lending money to their filipina wife ...

"lending" :hystery:

• Like 3