Comparison Driving Cebu vs Davao

jpbago
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

One of my pet peeves here in the freeport are idiots who stop on the high speed main thoroughfare, to let cross traffic go across.  There is no stop sign or traffic light, but they stop all of the sudden in the middle of the road, causing a high risk for accidents.  This is a 5 lane 70 kph road and stopping like that is not polite, it is stupid.

Using the words "high speed main thoroughfare" and "5 lane 70 kph road" says something about the traffic.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Using the words "high speed main thoroughfare" and "5 lane 70 kph road" says something about the traffic.

Yes, this section of Rizal in the freeport, 99% of the time, is wonderful.  It is mainly industrial of both side so that is why they are able to have a 70 kph posted speed limit for this section.  It only backs up if they are working on the road or there is an accident or if some bonehead stops as described previously.

One other peeve.  The road is 2 lanes each direction, with a center shared left turn lane (and 2 nice bike lanes).  Most drivers don't understand how to use the shared left turn lane.  Motorcycles and cars sometimes use it for passing or like a lane.  Cross traffic merging onto the main hwy often don't understand that it can also be used as an acceleration lane.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Good question but yes, there is a US Consulate office in Davao, or there was. It's on the waterfront. 

I don't drive here in Davao at all. I've been to Cebu and have compared the traffic. Much more congested in Cebu. 

There are signs that say " Jaywalking is a crime"  and that traffic enforcers will enforce the law. The city has put up barriers down the main streets and pedestrian crossings to control jay walking. 

Speaking only for myself. I would prefer to live in Cebu than Davao. The city has a lot more to offer than Davao. 

My opinion/

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/21/2016 at 9:30 AM, jpbago said:

I just realized they have Google street view here now.  This is the road I was referring to but for some reason it won't let me post the link here.

The peeve I was talking about is when a car like the red car will stop for a truck like the white one in the distance.  Idjut!  :smile:

You can see the traffic problems.

Fullscreen capture 12292016 90928 AM.jpg

Edited by OnMyWay

Jake
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I just realized they have Google street view here now.  This is the road I was referring to but for some reason it won't let me post the link here.

The peeve I was talking about is when a car like the red car will stop for a truck like the white one in the distance.  Idjut!  :smile:

You can see the traffic problems.

Fullscreen capture 12292016 90928 AM.jpg

More than likely that white truck pulled into traffic without looking.  It's like jumping into a pool without bothering to see if it's empty or not.  

Idjut!

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jake said:

Idjut!

My wife (filipina) has heard me call other drivers an idjut 100's of times and even mother f__ing idjut a few. When I went out driving once she asked me to be careful of all the idjut's out there driving... especially the one behind the wheel of our car!

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Perhaps this Tagalog term may not be as popular in the Visayan area, but I was called LECHE after a brief verbal encounter.  He was in an owner type jeep with all kinds of chrome and lights, heading right for me, in my lane!  So I gunned it (had a Jeep Wrangler, fat tires and lifted) forcing him to squeeze back in his own lane.  A few seconds later, I rolled down my window and shouted in perfect California accent.....you puckin' a$$h0le!  

I was mildly amused about him calling me milk but soon found out it meant to be an insult.  

Es mo pun en da Philippines........

Edited by Jake
spel chek
  • Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
On 12/20/2016 at 3:47 PM, OnMyWay said:

Yes, this section of Rizal in the freeport, 99% of the time, is wonderful. 

I agree on this, but you have to admit there is a price to pay for this western standard.  

• 4 weeks later...
az09
Posted
Posted
On 12/9/2016 at 3:34 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Duterte some years ago changed the traffic flow to the opposite side of the road like in Australia we drive on the left and our cars have the steering wheel on the right side of the car. Apparently Duterte wanted to do away with what he said was the American system. It will take you a bit of getting used to but you will be fine eventually. 

:thumbsup:

I assume you're joking? The traffic flow in Davao is the same as everywhere else in the Philippines - on the right, not left.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 12/29/2016 at 10:56 PM, earthdome said:

My wife (filipina) has heard me call other drivers an idjut 100's of times and even mother f__ing idjut a few. When I went out driving once she asked me to be careful of all the idjut's out there driving... especially the one behind the wheel of our car!

Guilty of the same ED, my wife asks 'can he hear you darling???' smarta..se