Damned Bites!!

Gator
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

Hi All,

usually across knuckles or on fingers, never on torso.  A little itchy, then blister after 24-48 hours, dont feel it when happens, normally when wake in morning feel and see them.

Any ideas from what? 

My best guess would be Chiggers. Bedbug bites tend to be on the areas of your skin where contact with the bed is made. 

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/prevent-treat-chigger-bites

No idea why they tend to target your hands. Gardening? Rubbing a moist / sweaty area too much, hahahaha. 

You may also want to try frequently cleaning your hands / forearms with either rubbing alcohol or that gel type of hand sanitizer (contains rubbing alcohol) that you can easily carry around with you. 

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

I agree with JPbago that it looks a lot like allergic reaction. I sometimes get tiny red spots like freckles on my hands that some think are bites but I am fairly certain that they are just some kind of Philippine microbe objecting to my presence and trying to make a meal out of me. Sure you didn't squat down at some time and put a fist down to push yourself back up?

As for bedbugs, it's bed bug poop that people are allergic to and leaves the rash, so even if the bugs are gone you can react to it. One good way to remove bedbugs from sheets and such is to freeze them if you have a deep freeze. The cold will burst them and then you can wash the bed clothes. I helped friends in the Philippines by buying plastic and a glue gun and sealing their matresses.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

As for bedbugs, it's bed bug poop that people are allergic to and leaves the rash

How sure are you?  My experience is that bed bugs bite around dawn.  If I am at a hotel with bedbugs I can avoid the bites by getting up at 4 am or by spraying the bed sheets with alcohol.  That lasts a couple of nights and then the bites come again. Another dose of alcohol kills them again.  So my experience does not fit with what you are saying, BUT you are a pretty bright fellow so maybe you have info I don't have.  Link?

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

How sure are you?  My experience is that bed bugs bite around dawn.  If I am at a hotel with bedbugs I can avoid the bites by getting up at 4 am or by spraying the bed sheets with alcohol.  That lasts a couple of nights and then the bites come again. Another dose of alcohol kills them again.  So my experience does not fit with what you are saying, BUT you are a pretty bright fellow so maybe you have info I don't have.  Link?

Dave, you can look it up. Bedbug poop causes allergic reactions.

What health risks do bed bugs pose?

A bed bug bite affects each person differently. Bite responses can range from an absence of any physical signs of the bite, to a small bite mark, to a serious allergic reaction. Bed bugs are not considered to be dangerous; however, an allergic reaction to several bites may need medical attention.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/bedbugs/faqs.html

Below are ways to kill bedbugs from Live Science:

If you suspect an infestation, experts recommend finding a professional exterminator who has experience dealing with bedbugs. Sprayed insecticides are commonly used to treat infestations, and exterminators may also use nonchemical methods, such as devices to heat a room above 122 degrees Fahrenheit (50 degrees Celsius), a lethal temperature for bedbugs, according to the Mayo Clinic. Freezing infested items for a few days at temperatures below 0 F (-18 C) may also put bedbugs to permanent rest, according to the University of Minnesota. But you may have to throw out heavily infested mattresses and other items of furniture.

There, did most of the research for you. If the CDC or live science isn't good enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

I didn't see the one where I got the info that you can have an allergic reaction to the poop or skins, so I will grant you that one even though I think it very likely. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. I'm just not going to spend much time looking for it and I'm not like wrye and will make up lies and call people names when I don't have a clue what I'm talking about and then ban people from the topic who were actually right.

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Sounds like it could be no-see-ums.  Not sure if they have here in the Philippines or some similar found usually around the coasts of Southeast US.  Very small, even smaller that a normal sized flee.  Hard to see, but you feel them.  Usually I felt the bites 10-15 munites later and would break out in a rash. 

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=10473&

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

Any ideas from what? Dont think red ant bites as had those before and feel them bite.

Looking at your hands I would make sure your will is up to date. :thumbsup:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

A bed bug bite

OK, I don't quite understand your research.  You say its the poop that causes the problem but your link refers to the bed bug bite, which us mere plebeians already know about.

Just to be sure, I went to the site you linked to and searched the page for "bite" and got 22 hits.  Then I searched the page for poop, feces and shit and got 0 hits.  Results are in.  Your comment about:

Bedbug poop causes allergic reactions

is full of poop LOL :hystery: :bash:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

OK, I don't quite understand your research.  You say its the poop that causes the problem but your link refers to the bed bug bite, which us mere plebeians already know about.

Just to be sure, I went to the site you linked to and searched the page for "bite" and got 22 hits.  Then I searched the page for poop, feces and shit and got 0 hits.  Results are in.  Your comment about:

is full of poop LOL :hystery: :bash:

Davey-wavey, did you read my entire posty-wosty? I said:

I didn't see the one where I got the info that you can have an allergic reaction to the poop or skins, so I will grant you that one even though I think it very likely. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. I'm just not going to spend much time looking for it and I'm not like wrye and will make up lies and call people names when I don't have a clue what I'm talking about and then ban people from the topic who were actually right.

If you kept looking after that it's on you and not me. I can admit when I am wrong.

Can I get a nevermind and an Amen?

Edited by robert k

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, robert k said:

Can I get a nevermind and an Amen?

Never mind and Amen and I'm just funning with ya. :7500:

• Like 2