My neighbor has shamed me into working on my house

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Interesting photos, so am I right to say Duplex means attached, as in semi?

In UK we would refer to them as semi-detached bungalows, is that about the right description?

It looks a nice area with reasonably amount of land to it. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Interesting photos, so am I right to say Duplex means attached, as in semi?

In UK we would refer to them as semi-detached bungalows, is that about the right description?

It looks a nice area with reasonably amount of land to it. :thumbsup:

I was dying to ask that to John, but i thought i would have been laugh at by Jack and Kevin, and as you can see i am not laughing at you :whistling:

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I was dying to ask that to John, but i thought i would have been laugh at by Jack and Kevin, and as you can see i am not laughing at you :whistling:

Forgive I'm wrong, I thought Duplex was a upstairs'/ downstairs split living, it would seem :89:it means shared  roof, with firewall between.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm petty sure a Duplex is any form of joint housing as long as each of the two properties have their own separate entrance. Be it a bungalows or split level houses.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Looks great Don, I am sure your work will be just as impressive.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm petty sure a Duplex is any form of joint housing as long as each of the two properties have their own separate entrance. Be it a bungalows or split level houses.

Yes, in the U.S we use the term like that for any structure that has two distinct living units and two ownerships.  Same for triplex, 4-plex, etc.  Here in the freeport we also have a lot of 4-plex and each unit is owned seperately.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I the city/residential area of Providence, where we lived in the US there were very nice nice duplex houses similar to this one but made of wood, with attached distinct and similar features, but having separate door entrances on each side. Usually one owner owned the whole property, so both sides were equally the same color and trim wise. Each side was rented to different parties, or the owner lived on one side, and rented out the other. Very nice..

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

removed the old hardi-flex ceiling.  I'm replacing that with 1/4 inch marine plywood.

Looking good.  You don't like the Hardi-flex?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Looking good.  You don't like the Hardi-flex?

I'm not familiar with the pros and cons of hardi-flex, nor do I know exactly how long the existing hardi-flex was there.  I think it was put in around 2003 when they added on to the house, and it was 1/8 inch.  In any case, it became very brittle and I could break off a piece with my hand.  The neighbor's ceiling looks good with the plywood, so I will give it a shot.  

• Like 4