My neighbor has shamed me into working on my house

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

OMW--will you have a trellis or some sort of divider between the your side and the other people next door, or will it be one big expanse? Nice and roomy, and very professional looking so far! You'll enjoy that new space.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

OMW--will you have a trellis or some sort of divider between the your side and the other people next door, or will it be one big expanse? Nice and roomy, and very professional looking so far! You'll enjoy that new space.

Actually that is something that went back and forth.  The neighbor first told us SHE wanted to build a full wall there, and we agreed.  My wife had the idea she would put some shade plants on the wall facing our area.  Then the husband thought that would not be very neighborly to have a full wall, and we agreed.  We will have a wall the same height as the front wall there, which should end up about 30-32 inches.  The kids will be able to climb over.  They started on it today.

DSCN2990-001.JPG

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Actually that is something that went back and forth.  The neighbor first told us SHE wanted to build a full wall there, and we agreed.  My wife had the idea she would put some shade plants on the wall facing our area.  Then the husband thought that would not be very neighborly to have a full wall, and we agreed.  We will have a wall the same height as the front wall there, which should end up about 30-32 inches.  The kids will be able to climb over.  They started on it today.

DSCN2990-001.JPG

That's a good compromise. I agree that a solid wall wouldn't be very airy looking, and probably bad Feng Shui.-

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Its always good to see a building program starting and i am sure it gives many of us ideas for our own places too.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here are a few more pictures, after three days work.  Only 2 guys came today, instead of 4.

This will be the approximate height of the wall, all around.

DSCN2992-001.JPG

This small wall in front is an extra retaining wall that we will fill with flowers of some kind.  Previously, it just had loose stepping stones holding the dirt.  The actual wall will be between the columns.

DSCN2993-001.JPG

These are our current terraces.  I don't like the style.  The house was remodeled by the owner of a concrete company, and I guess they thought fake logs (on the top, if you look closely) made of concrete were cool.  We have columns on the carport and the back terrace that are the same "log" style.  On these terraces, I will probably just have them chip the tops off and then plaster them, for a more modern look.  For the other "log" columns, I will probably just square them up like these new columns.

DSCN2994-001.JPG

jon1
Posted
Posted

Dont forget insulation above the plywood and to treat the plywood so that it doesn't quickly become termite fodder.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jon1 said:

Dont forget insulation above the plywood and to treat the plywood so that it doesn't quickly become termite fodder.

What does the insulation do on the outdoor patio?  They did use it next door.

jon1
Posted
Posted

It helps on keeping the heat from radiating thru the roof onto the porch. It made a big difference on my back porch.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jon1 said:

It helps on keeping the heat from radiating thru the roof onto the porch. It made a big difference on my back porch.

Ah, ok, there is some insulation under part of the roofing, but not the whole thing.  I will have them do it.

Side note:  another project in the future will be to clean out the entire attic and put in new insulation.  The neighbor cut a big hole in one ceiling to make it easier.  We have a side opening we can use.  There is a lot of junk and loose insulation up there.  I hope it is safe!

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2