Renting a car in the U.S.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I did not find any companies selling short term liability that would cover a driving trip in the U.S, so I have to buy it from the rental company.

Did you think about buying an annual policy and then canceling it once your trip is over. Every insurance policy I have had the need to cancel I was given a refund of the remaining premium.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

There are insurance companies that go month to month all over. I think their rates are a little higher because their prey...um customer base is the working poor.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jake said:

Do you need a Filipino driver (me) while in the states Don?  I'm a good dri-ber, cutting in and out of traffic and occupying two lanes at the same time.  I also like to use my horn a lot and very familiar using the American finger.

Otherwise, best of luck to you.  

Jake, we will be out your way!  We will be staying one night with friends in Canyon Lake, on our way to Lake Havasu.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Or hire Jake as he suggested.  I understand he will also provide the gas provided you feed him several burritos each day. :mocking:

Unfortunately, the rental car is not propane fueled!  :smile: 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

Did you think about buying an annual policy and then canceling it once your trip is over. Every insurance policy I have had the need to cancel I was given a refund of the remaining premium.

I did think about it but decided it would be too much hassle to do.  You would have to link it to a U.S. address or something tangible.  I plinked down my $400 for the Avis coverage.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, robert k said:

There are insurance companies that go month to month all over. I think their rates are a little higher because their prey...um customer base is the working poor.

I never ran across any with internet searching, although I was usually searching for "auto liability insurance" or "liability insurance".  Perhaps those outfits don't have a web presence.  Perhaps at the check cashing places, offered by the shady looking guy in the cheap suit?  :smile:

I found a few legit places to purchase, LDW, but not liability.

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I never ran across any with internet searching, although I was usually searching for "auto liability insurance" or "liability insurance".  Perhaps those outfits don't have a web presence.  Perhaps at the check cashing places, offered by the shady looking guy in the cheap suit?  :smile:

I found a few legit places to purchase, LDW, but not liability.

Might well be. I parked in front of one the other day and they had a sign "no hand guns" glad to know my AK47 or shotgun would be ok!:mocking:

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

OMY, I don't know your family history in the US,..if you have any adult children or their location.  When I return home for a visit, both my kids have extra cars so I plan to use them and just give them some money for the use as if renting.  Win win for both of us.  The issue for me is when we visit Las Vegas and the area sites.  I will be stuck renting a car.  I am maintaining a US address and drivers license, and of course cc.  However, your information on the insurance will be very helpful.  Thanks

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Jake, we will be out your way!  We will be staying one night with friends in Canyon Lake, on our way to Lake Havasu.

Is that Canyon Lake near Lake Elsinore?  Let me know time and place so that we could hook up.  I promise not to eat too much burritos, OK?  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Is that Canyon Lake near Lake Elsinore?  Let me know time and place so that we could hook up.  I promise not to eat too much burritos, OK?  

I'll keep in touch as the time comes.  We will be out that way around May 7/8, as of now.

• Like 1