Whats your favorite "Big" city in Philippines?

momo034
Posted
Posted

Hi all, As some might have read in a previous post of mine...I am arriving soon in Philippines and want to buy a motorcycle and immediately hit the road to explore the country. 

After hearing from a lot of people that Manila has very little to offer, I decided it would be best to pick another large(ish) city to do my motorcycle hunting. The process could take a week or two to find the right bike and get the documents sorted so I dont want to spend that time in some place that has nothing to offer, would be great to be in a city that has nice attractions and a traveler vibe.  At the same time I don't want to be in a place so small there will be few options for motorcycles.  Trying to find the balance.

Any recommendations?

momo034
Posted
Posted

Also, while I have your attention, perhaps I can tack on another question :smile:.

What parts of the Philippines are not safe at the moment to travel?  Ones that should really be avoided, and maybe another category of ones that are questionable.  I have done my own research but give more weight to expats who live in the country.  Would love to hear your thoughts.  

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, momo034 said:

Also, while I have your attention, perhaps I can tack on another question :smile:.

What parts of the Philippines are not safe at the moment to travel?  Ones that should really be avoided, and maybe another category of ones that are questionable.  I have done my own research but give more weight to expats who live in the country.  Would love to hear your thoughts.  

On a motorcycle I don't think anywhere is safe to travel in the Philippines,

• Like 2

momo034
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, stevewool said:

On a motorcycle I don't think anywhere is safe to travel in the Philippines

Thanks for the concern Steve!  But I spent 6 months driving a motorcycle through India...then I took another 5 months to drive it all the way from New Delhi to Barcelona...so I am no stranger to crazy road conditions and drivers ;)

• Like 4

bows00
Posted
Posted

Riding motorcycles in the Philippines is like signing a death warrant.  Based on your experience, you probably know what you are getting into, but none the less, I would check it out first.  People talk about safety in the Philippines, the motorcycle is about the riskiest thing you can take up there.

Speaking of motorcycles, one thing I have noticed is the contrast in the way the Filipino's wear helmets there - in Manila, almost everyone wears one, where as NO one wears one in Dumaguete. 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Really I think you need to decide where you want to go and you can get a selection of motorcycles in most larger cities.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, momo034 said:

Hi all, As some might have read in a previous post of mine...I am arriving soon in Philippines and want to buy a motorcycle and immediately hit the road to explore the country. 

After hearing from a lot of people that Manila has very little to offer, I decided it would be best to pick another large(ish) city to do my motorcycle hunting. The process could take a week or two to find the right bike and get the documents sorted so I dont want to spend that time in some place that has nothing to offer, would be great to be in a city that has nice attractions and a traveler vibe.  At the same time I don't want to be in a place so small there will be few options for motorcycles.  Trying to find the balance.

Any recommendations?

Cebu. You can fly there direct and avoid Manila altogether. Metro Cebu City is large enough that's there many new and used bike dealers so pricing is competitive and small enough to easily find your way around. 

Since its centrally located in the Phils, once you've cut your teeth riding around the island, it's also a good jumping off point to other islands. Bohol would be my next stop as riding there is easy and there's a fair amount of sights to see. From there maybe on to Leyte and Samar or go the other way to Negros. 

I'd avoid almost the entire Zamboanga peninsula, but I would not rule out taking a ferry (Ro-Ro) to CDO and heading from there down to Davao City. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Enjoy your trip but show extra care on the roads, not 'you' you have to worry about, but the other idiots.

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted

As a motorcycle driver for the past 50 some odd years in the States and now Cebu, be very wary of left turns(and signal with also hand signals, bikes and 4 wheels may still attempt to pass you on the left side during the turn.) Watch behind you for traffic approaching you. Also be wary of traffic pulling in front of you. Seems drivers never look what traffic is approaching, they pull out right in front of you anyway. I live in Cebu the past 3 years and ride almost daily. Wonderful countrysides, mountain rides galore! Amazed at the daily incompetence of other drivers. I know most drivers do not even take any driving lessons and many do not even have a drivers license. Soo, you have to be competent at defensive driving here in Cebu. Local papers claim that Cebu has the world's worst driver's, and I believe it! Just stay alert, defensive, and don't follow anything too close. Tricycles and Busses can stop right in front of you without pulling over to the side to let you pass. They don't have any courtesy or common sense in drivers. With all that said, its still a pretty place to explore. 3 years and I have't seen it all here yet, let alone going to the next island of Negros to explore that area, which I hear is another pretty place to visit!

Don't get impatient and drive fast, and watch out looking at the countryside when riding else someone will pull out on you when your looking elsewhere. You will get a kick out of other motocycles traveling called habel-habel, where they can have 5,6 or more riding on a motorcycle(from babies to old ones) I have seen upto six so far, with the driver sitting on the gas tank, and all with no helmets!

One last thing, get a bike that has enough power for the mountains like at least a 175cc-250cc. Just be cautious and defensive, and you do fine. And if you visit Cebu, look me up, cuz I like to ride myswelf....Also get a decent rain suit!

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Favorite "Big City" in the Philippines????  I have only been to Manila, Cebu and Davao City. 

I would choose Cebu as the only big city that I would prefer to live in for many reasons. 

If given a choice, I would not choose  a big city. I would choose a smaller one, like Bacalod or even Puerto Princessa.

• Like 2