Maid, nannies, helpers; How to find a good one?

jpbago
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, jpbago said:

We don't have a maid in our house. I live with 4 ladies (my wife, our 19 and 20 year old daughters, and MIL) so if they cannot look after the house, then I must be in the wrong house.

Many people have problems with maids, even some serious problems that makes the Panay local news.

We do have our SIL come over twice a week to do our laundry. It is a social visit also as she is a very nice lady. She cleans the leaves and dishes after lunch. Our girls are in university from 6:30 AM until 9:00 PM usually 6 days a week so they clean their room on Sundays.

When our girls were in the hospital with dengue, our SIL came over to clean but otherwise my wife can clean our large house in 2 or 3 hours. She is very fast at cooking and cleaning.

I pay a young nephew to clean the gutters and windows every 3 months.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Just wondering what you are all paying your maid/helper/house boy a month?  Am familiar with builders building the house at moment but no idea on the domestics front....................but am sure the day will come..

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jack, put into the library for when the time comes!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

The Law says but the law is  not followed. Here on Negros the Basic is 2.500/3.500 per month + board + SSS ( Social Insurance) but we pay in Total 5.000 per month with all things in, She (our Lady) gets 3.500 we pay the Rest to those that we have to pay. It is a boots on the Grounds thing and a Total minefield :89: + of course all the little things that go with it ( fare Home once a month, we pay 50% of her loads)

Getting a good one has taken us 5 years. Keeping her is our goal now.

I for one wish you well :thumbsup:

The going rate in the Subic Bay Freeport is higher, as are most things.  Most seem to get about 5000 + the other stuff.  The ones that have worked in the area for a long time know everything about everybody, including salaries.

Our neighbors got rid of two just yesterday (they have 3 or 4 I think).  The one older one wanted to come work for us as she knew we were looking.  No thanks.  She is the biggest gossip in Luzon.

• Like 5

TimL
Posted
Posted

To the OP. Just curious but, why is it a requirement of yours that your maid be from outside of your own area? Seems to me if you found one locally, you would save yourself money by not having to help pay for her to go home. 

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, TimL said:

To the OP. Just curious but, why is it a requirement of yours that your maid be from outside of your own area? Seems to me if you found one locally, you would save yourself money by not having to help pay for her to go home. 

Excellent question Tim!  Often times when your domestics are from the local area, it gives them more opportunity (temptations) to socialize and disappear for awhile.  I prefer older 35 plus live ins.  Take away their cellphone, have a couple hidden cameras to monitor (especially around your children) and have everything written down in Tagalog and English for her acknowledgement and signature.  Strict supervision for the first few weeks and then slack off accordingly.

As far as tsismis (gossiping) -- that's the Filipino's inalienable rights to practice day in and day out.  Me being a Filipino, I already know some personal things about Don (OMW).  That OMW loves to wear pink and tight thongs. That would be a Kodak moment.....he, he.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, TimL said:

As Jake said, one of the reasons is that when they are near their home and family, it is easier for them to visit home and family.  So they may "need" to visit more often.   That is fine on their days off, but based on what others have said, sometimes that day off turns into 2 or 3.  Grampa is sick, etc., etc.

• Like 4

TimL
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much Jake and OMW!  Makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought about from that perspective. I appreciate the clarification. 

• Like 1