Gas bottles never thought of that

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I was in my local shop earlier and a man came in and wanted to change his Petron gasul LPG bottle.Well he and the lady were looking through all the bottles of gas.Why i thought and then the lady said to me the tare weight is different on them you can get up to 2 kilos of gas extra by choosing carefully.I looked at the bottles in the cage and yes some are 21.1 some are14.1 so it  maybe an extra 2 weeks on your gas. I don`t know about other gas bottles but for the ones mentioned maybe we should check.

• Like 4

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I use Petron and the only size I use are either 22, the main one and 11, the spare. Have not seen those sizes you mention, the only other ones here are the massive ones, for hotels and restaurants I presume.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There is a difference between the capacity of a propane tank and how much gas is used to fill them. Some dealers refill below maximum capacity. The only way to determine if you are buying less is the weight of the tank filled. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

The only way to determine if you are buying less is the weight of the tank filled. 

Correct.  A few years ago I used to get my tanks refilled instead of exchanging them and the dealer had a little hut with a scale.  The lad/girl fills the tank to a certain weight regardless of the size or numbers on the tank.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, virginprune said:

I use Petron and the only size I use are either 22, the main one and 11, the spare. Have not seen those sizes you mention, the only other ones here are the massive ones, for hotels and restaurants I presume.

The bottles weigh 11kg, but I seen the tare weight which is different on each bottle.If you look you will see the 2 different weights on the bottles.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

The bottles weigh 11kg, but I seen the tare weight which is different on each bottle.If you look you will see the 2 different weights on the bottles.

OK then, will have a look.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

you can get up to 2 kilos of gas extra by choosing carefully

Here they put your tank or any tank on the scale, zero it, then put in 11 kg. Today's price is P 740.

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jpbago said:

Here they put your tank or any tank on the scale, zero it, then put in 11 kg. Today's price is P 740.

I usually just send out for a tank.And at the end of the day it lasts for 3 months so I am not too bothered by it.I have never even considered that it could be more gas in 1 tank or another.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I usually just send out for a tank.And at the end of the day it lasts for 3 months so I am not too bothered by it.I have never even considered that it could be more gas in 1 tank or another.

There probably isn't (atleast not much). I agree with what JPbago said.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The tare weight is the empty bottle weight. It does not affect the tank capacity. I doubt you would get much more or less gas in any given tank.

I get 5 months off a bottle so I really don't worry much about the weight or cost.  :tiphat: