Water Heater Died

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Mike J said:

You always want to check your existing wire/cable size before switching to a bigger breaker.  If the capacity of the breaker is greater than the cable, the cable can fry prior to have the breaker trip with a current overload.  Worst case scenario that could end up taking down the entire house due to fire.

Yes, the 30 amp breaker is already installed, so that should cover the 25 amp breaker required by the model 45e.  I will check the wires to see if I can figure out what gauge they are, but they are very thick, so I think they are probably fine.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I went ahead and had it repaired.  p1800 to repair the circuit board with a 30 day warranty.  That was on the border of what I would put out for a repair.  I had p2000 as a limit in my mind.

She told me that on those units a new circuit board costs almost as much as a new unit, so if they can't repair them, most likely the unit is scrap.  I would imagine the same goes for the heating element.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

A few days my water heater would not come on so had to investigate why.It was simple after unscrewing the hose from the head. So much black crap came out which was stopped by the filter in the end of the shower head. Also a lot of coarse stuff that looks like and feels like metal shavings. Again today it stopped working so did the same, the filter is blocked so the heater thinks the water is off if there is not enough water getting through. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

the filter is blocked so the heater thinks the water is off if there is not enough water getting through. 

:89: Clean the Filter?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Clean the Filter?

huh ? As I said there is a filter in the hose where it screws onto the shower head. Maybe yours is different but what I am saying is that if it becomes blocked enough to stop the water flow to a certain point then the heater will not come on as it senses the tap is off. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We have a tankless water heater for the whole house and love it. It in fact has a small 2 gal tank.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

if it becomes blocked enough to stop the water flow

The Filter on my Inlet and Shower head are all Detachable for Cleaning If yours are not, then I have no Suggestions. Sorry :sad:

Jack:unsure:

Morning All:photo-109:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

The Filter on my Inlet and Shower head are all Detachable for Cleaning If yours are not, then I have no Suggestions. Sorry :sad:

Jack:unsure:

Morning All:photo-109:

Yes thats what I said in an earlier post that when l unscrewed the head from the hose a lot of silt and stuff came out. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes thats what I said in an earlier post that when l unscrewed the head from the hose a lot of silt and stuff came out. :thumbsup:

I'm sure you have already run it without the shower head to try and flush it out but it bears mentioning.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, robert k said:

I'm sure you have already run it without the shower head to try and flush it out but it bears mentioning.

yes :thumbsup: