U.K. Families in manila

Ann Hay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

There is the First Stumbling block I am afraid, None of you hold a Filipino passport so at this time you will all be Aliens (Foreigners) like most of us here As I say, you must try and get through to Immigration to see if you Qualify for Filipino Citizenship.

Tongue in cheek I will say my GrandParents were from Bavaria but I stood no chance of German Citizenship if I so wanted without renouncing my British Citizenship Something I would never do.

Advice on many things we can give But when it comes to Citizenship and immigration you are at the mercy of a very confused Administration here in the PI (Philippine Islands)

I know I am not particularly helping you here but it is what it is and whatever you know from the UK and Places that you may have been, here is so much Different and you will best be guarded/mindful of how things may progress ( Slowly:571c66d400c8c_1(103):) But don't give in if it is what you and your family want to do. Where there is a Road Block there is normally a way round it :thumbsup:

We live in uae now and have been for 7 years and it's full of  bureaucracy and red tape you can't live in uae without a visa. All is attached to a visa. So kind of know the crap you have to go through

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Ann Hay said:

and it's full of  bureaucracy and red tape

:hystery: Then you will be used to what I am saying.

To help have a look at this BI link about acquiring PI Citizenship in your situation. The last part may be important for you;

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/citizenship

Hope it helps

Ann Hay
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery: Then you will be used to what I am saying.

To help have a look at this BI link about acquiring PI Citizenship in your situation. The last part may be important for you;

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/citizenship

Hope it helps

Schools ? Any feedback on this 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think one of the best schools to comply as good as possible to the UK is the British school that I linked to previously in Bonifacio. It has all the fees listed and the key stages. As for how good it is I can only hope it's better than the main stream schools. You'll find lots of the locals are trained to degree standard yet when asking them questions don't have logical answers. Maybe it's due to learning in English yet speaking Tagalog with their friends, they memorise things but don't understand how the answer was achieved.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Ann Hay said:

Schools ? Any feedback on this 

Sorry can't help on this as I live on Negros but from what I hear there are many in Manila cost vary, It has always been a little Controversial subject on Private or State being the best, there have been quite a few Posts about this but one thing you have to remember is the awkward times of Classes and those never ending "No Class tomorrow" and if you are working full time you will need to consider Traffic and Direction you want/need to go.

Mine went private to begin with then State Elementary then State High until Last year for the K12 programme. I think we got it right but it seems trial and error in many cases :smile:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Whilst I agree it's good to get the inside track from those already in situ, it's also the case that there are too many variables when talking about costs, convenience etc. The only correct answer is "It depends". That isn't really helpful but I've been caught out many times with well-intentioned advice turning out to be hopeless! I usually prefer to say I have x amount to spend on housing, what will it get me etc etc - the budget is likely finite. As for schools, you will generally have to consider where you live and work and that will be a big factor in what choices of school you have - no point identifying a great school that's 2 hours commute from your home.

For what it's worth, costs should not he an issue given your situation but you will likely come up against the same quality and convenience issues most of us have but, with a reasonable package you can lessen the downsides.

I'd be less optimistic about your husband's job opportunities as it's not the easiest country to 'break into'  - just my opinion though.

Good luck and all the best with your adventure! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
snowridr
Posted
Posted

From what I have heard British School of Manila is a very well respected International School - Great campus in BGC.  Will your company be helping for educational expenses?  It may be better to just come into the country solely as a British citizen?  If you go there I hope your kids like climbing stairs - they have tons of them all over - I was there for a Model United Nations conference last fall and I climbed 40 flights or so each day.