LTO Paperwork Required Before Driving New Vehicle

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I saw James Deakin interviewing the head of LTO.  The first part is on his Facebook page.  Scroll down to March 25, not too far down.  I don't know how to directly link to it.

I'm not going to say much about the guy.  I'll see what you think.

https://www.facebook.com/james.deakin/

Thanks OMM, I really makes no sense that 10's of thousands of plates are being held because of a court case, that is what I gather from the link, it's also ridiculous to import plates if they can make them here, from memory our plates in Australia were manufactured by the dudes in the prison system, not sure these days though. I'm sure this new ruling will impact on new car sales as will the proposed taxes on new cars, this will also push the prices of second hand late model vehicles up I would assume. Maybe I misunderstand what is going on here, any other takers?

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

They find it more beneficial to order them from abroad.It would only entail getting a few machines to make their own.Like a lot of things here it is 180o around from the logical way.

I had a signage business in days gone by, you could have the numbers printed and applied to plastic/acrylic plates with really just a basic set up done by anyone, no special skills needed. I am surprised that some smart thinking local hasn't set up a print business and that the LTO tells you that this is the place you must buy your plates from wink wink.The cost would be minimal.

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, mogo51 said:

It will be a second hand late model for me, won't be going through all that nonsense.  I can't understand why this is so hard.  Plates have been an issue for such a long time, why have they not got a company to manufacture them or more of them, whatever is applicable?  An inspection, check serial numbers etc should only take a short time one would think?

Mogo, if I understand correctly, the plates ARE stamped by the LTO! The hold up on plates are the "blanks" that were contracted for and imported and sitting in a warehouse....If they are not already at a scrap yard.:smile:

I have no idea why they haven't "properly" contracted for more blanks because if cars are not outlawed, they will need more blanks in the future when the matter of the current blanks winds it's way through the court.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, frosty (chris) said:

I am surprised that some smart thinking local hasn't set up a print business and that the LTO tells you that this is the place you must buy your plates from wink wink.The cost would be minimal.

There is and its done all the time and I have one.  First, the motorcycle seller sends the paperwork to LTO.  Then the LTO sends them a letter authorizing the owner to make up his own plate.  Then you go to the place that makes them up and sells the plate to you.  200 pesos.

• Like 5

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There is and its done all the time and I have one.  First, the motorcycle seller sends the paperwork to LTO.  Then the LTO sends them a letter authorizing the owner to make up his own plate.  Then you go to the place that makes them up and sells the plate to you.  200 pesos.

Must be why I have been waiting nearly 2 years to get the new plates for my car. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Unless the place in the mall charging p200 moves and the only place you (ok, I lol) could find was p400. Still, $4 or $8 I have a plate on the Rouser.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Suzuki tell me that these new plates are at a determined size and have special Fixing Screws so they are supposed to be tamper? proof :89:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

supposed to be tamper? proof

Tamper proof against screwing?  Sounds like a modern chastity belt. :7500:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bigpearl said:

Thanks OMM, I really makes no sense that 10's of thousands of plates are being held because of a court case, that is what I gather from the link, it's also ridiculous to import plates if they can make them here, from memory our plates in Australia were manufactured by the dudes in the prison system, not sure these days though. I'm sure this new ruling will impact on new car sales as will the proposed taxes on new cars, this will also push the prices of second hand late model vehicles up I would assume. Maybe I misunderstand what is going on here, any other takers?

Cheers, Steve.

Here is an old thread on the plate issue:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/24902-same-ol-dog-and-pony-show/#comment-176628

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I thought all of these 3rd party plates are still temporary?  You still need to eventually get the LTO plate?

Lots of people selling them now.  I doubt that most buyers get an LTO authorization because they have waited so long.  There are guys that go to car rallys and sell them on the spot.

Some dealers might be doing what you said, as some of the pictures on OLX have dealer names on the plates.

https://www.olx.ph/all-results?q=lto&q=lto+plates