US Passport plus VISA question

bows00
Posted
Posted
On 4/15/2017 at 4:37 AM, Gary D said:

Regarding visas, you have two choices. 30 day free on entry or get a 59 day in your home country before you depart. 

So if I know I will be staying more than 30 days, I would be better off getting the 59 day VISA before departing.  That is what I originally thought.  

Thanks for clearing this up.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bows00 said:

So if I know I will be staying more than 30 days, I would be better off getting the 59 day VISA before departing.  That is what I originally thought.  

You can get it at the airport when you arrive I think.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bows00 said:

So if I know I will be staying more than 30 days, I would be better off getting the 59 day VISA before departing.

I don't know about "better off" but yes, that works.  What will it cost you?  How inconvenient is it to get it?  Will you stay longer than 59 days? The reason I ask is you will be getting the 59 day Visa from the Philippine Embassy, which is run by DFA.  In country you will be dealing with BI who do not like DFA interfering with their jurisdiction.  So if you are staying a long time in one location, IMHO, you would be better off to get the 30 day free and then get acquainted with your local BI office as you will be in there quite often over the years.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bows00 said:

If you are going to get a visa before traveling and you intend to stay awhile? I believe they offer a longer than 59 day visa, possibly multiple entry.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, robert k said:

I believe they offer a longer than 59 day visa, possibly multiple entry.

The 9a Tourist visa issued abroad is for 59 days only, Multi Entry it is but they add up all the days in and out of the country to a maximum of the 59 days, after this comes the normal extensions

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Bows, some 4 or 5 years ago I got a 12 month multiple entry visa, AU 140 back then, it gave me 59 days then I had to leave the country and back to get the next 59 days etc. Too hard I as I didn't leave the country but simply went to BI every 57 odd days and played the game. I was there for a year and chose that system thinking I would save money but didn't.

I have also done the 59 day visa extension at the airport a couple of times and that works fine if you are only staying for that amount of time, saves going into BI at 27 or 28 days to extend.

For me if I was planning longer stay than 59 days I would take the free 30 day and then go to BI and extend 2 months? 6 months? Up to the individuals needs, good luck and enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

The 9a Tourist visa issued abroad is for 59 days only, Multi Entry it is but they add up all the days in and out of the country to a maximum of the 59 days, after this comes the normal extensions

Jack, I just pulled this from a Philippine embassy website:

Single ENTRY valid for three (3) months 270
Single ENTRY valid for three (3) months
(Visa Required Nationals) 360
Multiple ENTRY valid for six (6) months 540
Multiple ENTRY valid for one (1) year 810

Prices are in Norwegian Kroner, but evidently they have different visa that you can get before you arrive.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, robert k said:

Jack, I just pulled this from a Philippine embassy website:

Single ENTRY valid for three (3) months 270
Single ENTRY valid for three (3) months
(Visa Required Nationals) 360
Multiple ENTRY valid for six (6) months 540
Multiple ENTRY valid for one (1) year 810

Prices are in Norwegian Kroner, but evidently they have different visa that you can get before you arrive.

Scratching Head.jpg How can we get ahead if they keep changing the rules ? :hystery: But I wonder if the BI are aware of this revelation.?

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Scratching Head.jpg How can we get ahead if they keep changing the rules ? :hystery: But I wonder if the BI are aware of this revelation.?

It does keep one on their toes. I think Big Pearl is correct that there is a limit to how long you can stay on the multiple entry before you must leave and come back or lose your visa but three months, single entry is clear enough. As for me? I'm glad they have the LSVV and I hope to take advantage of it soon. 

• Like 1