How many do as I did...do

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jpbago said:

I got some boric acid from a gold buyer/seller. Apparently, welding suppliers and jewelry stores may have it for cleaning metals.

I bought some welding borax at the hardware store but have not tried it yet.  Any simple and good recipes for making bait?  The recipes I found before were a bit tedious.  We are going out of town for a few days and I will leave bait around the house.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I bought some welding borax at the hardware store but have not tried it yet.  Any simple and good recipes for making bait?  The recipes I found before were a bit tedious.  We are going out of town for a few days and I will leave bait around the house.

You can just mix it with sugar, or peanut butter as mentioned above. As long as it's mixed with something they really want, I don't think you can go wrong.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, robert k said:

You can just mix it with sugar, or peanut butter as mentioned above. As long as it's mixed with something they really want, I don't think you can go wrong.

Dry sugar?

I have made some syrupy concoctions before.  Sometimes they worked to attract the ants and sometimes not.  I just dropped some pancake syrup by the ants and they seem to like it.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Dry sugar?

I have made some syrupy concoctions before.  Sometimes they worked to attract the ants and sometimes not.  I just dropped some pancake syrup by the ants and they seem to like it.

Anything sweet should do it even rice.Don`t waste your pancake syrup.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, robert k said:

As long as it's mixed with something they really want, I don't think you can go wrong.

True that.  And I found there are some vicious little ants that only eat dead animals.  They would not eat the borax mixed with sweet stuff, but mix it with some rotting meat and they eat it. Since these are the kind that bite me (no I'm not dead yet), these are the ones I really like to kill :571b119686cf7_1(72):

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 4/19/2017 at 2:10 AM, RBM said:

The tiny brown ants have been getting into mother board of coffee machine, twice been to the tech, said next time return to service center I Cano long repair. The machine is a DeLonghi and just 3 months old.

My nice coffee pot didn't last long in the Philippines. When I return I will bring a french press and put the brewed coffee in a thermos. Low tech but makes great coffee.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, earthdome said:

My nice coffee pot didn't last long in the Philippines. When I return I will bring a french press and put the brewed coffee in a thermos. Low tech but makes great coffee.

My cone drip 45 did not last either. The metal circular tube heater cracked so the water leaked out as it was heated. I now heat the water separately and just use the cone.

Has anyone tried the aero press? It is rated the best but makes only 8 oz.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 4/19/2017 at 3:43 PM, Gator said:

Had a hard time finding borax - never did actually, but did find the Terro ant killer. Worked very well - a few drops here and there the ants were gone in less then 2 days. Retreated about every 2-3 weeks. Can usually be found at Ace or True Value hardware stores; think I paid around 200 pesos for it (last time I bought / needed it was in early 2014). 

Try broaxo laundry additive 

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Borax stirred with sugar until sugar melts add a bit of water just enough to make a paste.  I put the concoction in water bottle tops and placse anywhere i see ants.  also window edges and near electrical outlets little burgers are so small can hardly see them unless they ake their 8 lane  trail to and from a dead bug or piece of food dropped.  Put a loaf of homemade bread in plastic and by next day 36 hours they had a hole in the plastic and a borrow over half way down the bread about the diameter of a .50 piece.  Works for many types of ants........not fire ants though.  Gave up and bought a large bag of commercial fire ant killer..works for about a month or more before new hives appear   

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Borax stirred with sugar until sugar melts add a bit of water just enough to make a paste.  I put the concoction in water bottle tops and placse anywhere i see ants.  also window edges and near electrical outlets little burgers are so small can hardly see them unless they ake their 8 lane  trail to and from a dead bug or piece of food dropped.  Put a loaf of homemade bread in plastic and by next day 36 hours they had a hole in the plastic and a borrow over half way down the bread about the diameter of a .50 piece.  Works for many types of ants........not fire ants though.  Gave up and bought a large bag of commercial fire ant killer..works for about a month or more before new hives appear   

I kill fire ants with gas. Put some gas in a spray bottle and lightly mist over their hive. Do not light it as that will draw the fumes up and it's the fumes that will sink in and kill the hive. It only takes a tiny amount, I have killed hives without killing the grass that grew up out of it.

• Like 3