Internet in Luzon.

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, PaulB said:

I live in the Province of Quirino, North Luzon, Near Aglipay and I paid to have them run cable to my house and can get 6mbps speed. This is enough to stream a movie from my TV box and also provides cable TV channels. I did also invest in Cignal Satellite dish for other channels. My TV box gives me ALL UK channels from Sky and also BEIN sports for the Premier League Footy. Also 2000 movies and series on demand. 

I feel as a Brit we don't have a lot of channels on offer in the Philippines through cable or Satellite.

Happy to share in PM the cable supplier and any other info if you like.

Paul

Pure curiosity but how far was the cable run, how much, roughly did it cost, did they gouge you on the cost of the coax cable itself?

Jake
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, PaulB said:

I live in the Province of Quirino, North Luzon, Near Aglipay and I paid to have them run cable to my house and can get 6mbps speed. This is enough to stream a movie from my TV box and also provides cable TV channels. I did also invest in Cignal Satellite dish for other channels. My TV box gives me ALL UK channels from Sky and also BEIN sports for the Premier League Footy. Also 2000 movies and series on demand. 

I feel as a Brit we don't have a lot of channels on offer in the Philippines through cable or Satellite.

Paul

Hey Paul,

I don't understand the services provided by satellite dish companies.  Besides TV channels, they don't provide internet signals?  

mogo51
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, PaulB said:

Paul

Thanks Paul that would be appreciated.  I will check out where you are in relation to where we are headed.  From what I can gather, there are very few members of forum in our area.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jake said:

Hey Paul,

I don't understand the services provided by satellite dish companies.  Besides TV channels, they don't provide internet signals?  

You can get satellite internet in the Philippines. In this example starts at 3000 peso a month. http://www.delcotelecoms.com/igsat-broadband?gclid=CJifmqHC39MCFdgSaAod7MgN5w

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

Armed hold up is alive and well. 30mg here in Pattaya 650bht or 800 pesos????

This mob 12,000 pesos, somebody is getting a big earn. Come on Mr. DU30 do something.

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You can get satellite internet in the Philippines.

I took a look at the link you sent.  For 3,000 pesos a month you get 1 MBPS with caps on the upload speed and the data usage per month that make a Globe Tattoo look fabulous by comparison.  I can get that kind of bandwidth on my Globe Tattoo, 1 GB every 3 days for 50 pesos, which is half the price and totally portable.

I would surely not be getting satellite Internet with those prices and stats, but I guess someone must be or they would not be in business. I suppose the press release got it right:

iGSat is a service being provided by FUBC which is licensed to operate Direct To Home (DTH) satellite services as well as radio and TV

And I am guessing that stands for F***ed Up Beyond Comparison. :nudie:

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

Dave, I'm sure there are more expensive plans that give more bandwidth. If you want to live on top of a mountain but still be connected, there is a price to pay. I knew a few people spending 6k+ php for electricity with air conditioning that wouldn't be necessary if you live 3km-2,000 feet above sea level. Just take from one budget to give to another.:thumbsup:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

If you want to live on top of a mountain but still be connected, there is a price to pay.

If I understand this article correctly, Globe claims to have 100% coverage in Philippines, even on top of a mountain, so there is no need to pay that price for Satellite Internet anywhere you can get a cell phone signal.  But again, someone must be paying it or they would not offer the service.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Globe claims to have 100% coverage in Philippines, even on top of a mountain

Odd to me as I thought these Pocket WiFi's were supposed to work Anywhere :89:

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Odd to me as I thought these Pocket WiFi's were supposed to work Anywhere :89:

In our village they only work at about 3 am, as soon as the texting crowd wake up it grinds to a halt.

Edited by Gary D
spelling