What did you arrive with?

jon1
Posted
Posted

As others have already said, 2 suitcases plus a backpack with laptop inside.  Everything else I purchased locally. Stuff I couldn't find I purchased online and shipped via balikbayan box.

The first year is the costliest; purchase/rent a place, furnishings, etc.

After being in the PI for 7 years, I had set up my retirement household, plus purchased a unit for rent (provides supplemental income in local currency) and am now making my final push for full retirement (did a 1 year sabbatical to see if I had chosen the right place for me). 

• Like 5

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, intrepid said:

I came with a plan and stuck with it.  You are so right Jack about a plan.  I believe also it is the most important thing to have and you must follow it.  After high school I had nothing but two part time jobs.  Paid myself through college.  Got married to the wrong one before age 21 and started that life with a few hundred dollars.  Worked hard and raised that family without financial help from my wife.  Kept working and doing some small but steady saving and bought some investment rental properties.  Married the right one twelve years ago and about 10 years ago we started on THE PLAN.  Although I could have retired early I kept forcing myself to continue and ended up with 35 years service at age 55.  Built a good retirement and savings.  I'd have to admit if not for my wife I would have retired somewhere between 45-50 years old. I would have then bought a yacht and lived a lonely life between Florida and Maryland.  So with our PLAN, we arrive here in the Philippines just over a year ago with enough cash to buy a vehicle, buy land and build our dream home.  Cost for that about thirteen million pesos.   Although I have health insurance I reserved five million pesos for health emergencies.  Also arrived with a 20' container of household goods which included mostly tools followed by kitchen stuff and personal belongings.  Similar to Jack, I still have investments and properties back in the home country.  I look at these as PLAN "B".  A just in case for the next ??? years.  After that I plan to sell off everything and really enjoy life and travel if I still feel the need.  So far the PLAN is working and we have stuck with it.  This is the advise I always gave my co-workers and friends.  Save and save more than you can afford to save.  Suffer a little now to have that easier life after retirement.  

I know this is off topic Intrepid but if you have the time and would like to share your knowledge on moving a shipping container to PH I and probably other members would be grateful. Perhaps a new topic?

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

I know this is off topic Intrepid but if you have the time and would like to share your knowledge on moving a shipping container to PH I and probably other members would be grateful. Perhaps a new topic?

Cheers, Steve.

Okay Steve.  I think you are right.  I would have liked more first hand info when I was considering it.  I did do some writing in the past but I'll start a new topic for it after some brain rest.

• Like 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Okay Steve.  I think you are right.  I would have liked more first hand info when I was considering it.  I did do some writing in the past but I'll start a new topic for it after some brain rest.

LOL, I too have researched on and off for 2 years, combed sites, asked this question on other sites and probably this one also, had phone calls to the PRA (SRRV) Customs, BIR and still frustrated and without simple answers. Looking fwd to hearing from you and your experiences, eagerly.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bigpearl said:

Well yes it is rather, as many times topics get pissed on and we never really find out what others want/need to say

For me as a member, it can put many others off Starting Topics when this happens :whistling: having as laugh at things within a Topic is one thing but Changing the Topic into something else is "Just Not Cricket"

Sorry Boss But :mellow:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

many times topics get pissed on and we never really find out what others want/need to say

I thought about putting on my moderator's hat and splitting this topic but then I realized, the topic says what did you arrive with and a couple of members are discussing a guy who arrived with a shipping container.  So if they want to start a thread about personal experience with shipping containers then I think that is great, but so far the posts are just about a guy who arrived with a shipping container so I'll let it be.

• Like 2