OJT takes advantage of Filipino workers

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Old55 said:

She said some of the staff are OJT some hope to find full time employment

I really have no problem with the OJT system. From my observation it is probably the only way that a young person will get any work experience at all. In my area, I really don't see teenagers getting after school, part time jobs (sitting in the sari-sari store doesn't count in my book :hystery:). This way the employers get free (slave?) labor and the youngsters get work experience to put on their resume.

21 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

At the very least they should be paid expenses

What expenses? Really 8 pesos for a jeepney? I would wager that almost all OJT's and even once they get work, live at home.:hystery:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, scott h said:

I really have no problem with the OJT system. From my observation it is probably the only way that a young person will get any work experience at all. . . This way the employers get free (slave?) labor and the youngsters get work experience to put on their resume.

Agreed.  Reminds me of an old theory that could be stretched to apply here: 

can't rape.jpg Consider this an analogy where employees have rights and OJT are there as volunteers.

• Like 2

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

The Sister in law worked for a year as a registered nurse...........for free, just for the experience so could apply abroad as an OFW.  I think nurses in particular are taken advantage off by hospitals who have skeleton staffing on the payroll and lots of free staff.......... just my thought for the day

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve GCC said:

The Sister in law worked for a year as a registered nurse...........for free, just for the experience so could apply abroad as an OFW.  I think nurses in particular are taken advantage off by hospitals who have skeleton staffing on the payroll and lots of free staff.......... just my thought for the day

Nursing is by far the Worst on this issue and they are not OJT's they are Qualified Board Registered Nurses But to get a Full time job here they have to do 2 years Intern Volunteer Work and to me that IS taking the Pi..

• Like 2