Do You Ever Use Idioms?

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Don't feel bad Mark, anyone who has noticed in many of my posts, I am just the biggest idiom user ever! I can't help myself either, but also I've always liked playing around with words and phrases.:smile:

Idioms are truly lost on Filipinos in general, but any Filipino who is a student of the English language always seems to want to know and understand as many idiomatic phrases as they can. It's really a cut above just speaking the formal language, and anyone who learns them has come far. (here I go again!)

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Don't feel bad Mark, anyone who has noticed in many of my posts, I am just the biggest idiom user ever! I can't help myself either, but also I've always liked playing around with words and phrases.:smile:

Idioms are truly lost on Filipinos in general, but any Filipino who is a student of the English language always seems to want to know and understand as many idiomatic phrases as they can. It's really a cut above just speaking the formal language, and anyone who learns them has come far. (here I go again!)

Thanks Queenie! Based on what you’ve said, I won’t bite my tongue quite as often, since (as you’ve said) there are some Filipinos who really do aspire to be a cut above the rest. :smile:

Capture.JPG

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I use some, but the meaning is lost on most locals. You have to have a better grasp of a language to really use idioms or sarcasm well.  Someone being 'dumb as a box of rocks' being one of my favorites.

There are lots of Tagalog idioms that are lost on me, so no worries.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Do i Ever Use Idioms? Well heck, Did the Cow Jump Over the Moon?

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Thanks Queenie! Based on what you’ve said, I won’t bite my tongue quite as often, since (as you’ve said) there are some Filipinos who really do aspire to be a cut above the rest. :smile:

Capture.JPG

I may be running with two wheels in the sand but how do you cut those dolls.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I "never" ever use idioms because "never" is an absolute. :89:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I "never" ever use idioms because "never" is an absolute. :89:

:hystery: Try telling that to Mrs Jack ED, I don't bother now as is just the Start of another argument:mocking:

• Like 2