Cost to Build a House

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I have noticed the no discount for quantity in many places here. Look around the grocery even. A double size anything (chips, soap, shampoo, whatever) is usually double the price, occasionally it is even more (Toblerone chocolate at Robinson for example)

• Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted

When we built our first house we found that a supplier whould throw in a free wheel barrow or shovel, that sort of thing.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Look around the grocery even.

Yep.  Had to chuckle at the local market. "Ganador Rice was 49 pesos a kg.  OK, I'd like an unopened 5kg bag.  OK sir, that is 250 pesos."  And I paid it because once its opened you don't know what they have mixed in there to stretch the weight.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yep.  Had to chuckle at the local market. "Ganador Rice was 49 pesos a kg.  OK, I'd like an unopened 5kg bag.  OK sir, that is 250 pesos."  And I paid it because once its opened you don't know what they have mixed in there to stretch the weight.

Again, there is no discount in buying bulk. We buy a variety called 64 at 2,500p per 50 kg sack. It is 50p per kg or 250p per 5 kg bag.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

When I built we negotiated a discount on the clay blocks from P25 to P23 because of bulk buying. Regarding other materials, my SIL did most of the shopping around and got discounts most notably on steel rods, sand and cement. For the bakagay fence I negotiated a discount as well due to bulk purchase. So it can be done and can save a few thousand, at least here in Marbel.

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, virginprune said:

When I built we negotiated a discount on the clay blocks from P25 to P23 because of bulk buying. Regarding other materials, my SIL did most of the shopping around and got discounts most notably on steel rods, sand and cement. For the bakagay fence I negotiated a discount as well due to bulk purchase. So it can be done and can save a few thousand, at least here in Marbel.

Sounds like you hit the sweetspot of better than average negotiation skills and a slow sales month. Good point though, just because discounts may be uncommon doesn't mean they do not exist. You should always try, nothing to lose.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Discounts will depend(if given) on the size of the project.There is a store in town here that a lot of people I know have used and it was discounted depending on the size of the order.Some suppliers also offer free delivery on larger orders.You have to talk to somebody in charge as the sales staff can,usually,only give you one price,the top price.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Discounts

Call me jaded and a skeptic nowadays. How many times have you or your SO walked into almost any type of store be it jewelry, appliances you name it and you ask how much something is, and even if it has a tag the answer is 10,000 peso less 10% Sir or Ma'am  (pick your number) so I don't know if things are artificial inflated knowing that you will ask for a deal? Or if the sales staff is trained that way. either way I always smile to myself

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, scott h said:

knowing that you will ask for a deal?

We are in the Land of Barter, Don't ask don't get But there is another side to this, City Hardware for one, operate on a Reduced Bonus payment to sales staff if they give discounts, Our nephew left them because of this. Sales Girls in stores have to pay for breakages that can be proved against them. Seems also a land of the Store Owner will never lose out

Just saying, :smile: there are always two sides and usually a reason for things we don't always want to Understand

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, scott h said:

Call me jaded and a skeptic nowadays. How many times have you or your SO walked into almost any type of store be it jewelry, appliances you name it and you ask how much something is, and even if it has a tag the answer is 10,000 peso less 10% Sir or Ma'am  (pick your number) so I don't know if things are artificial inflated knowing that you will ask for a deal? Or if the sales staff is trained that way. either way I always smile to myself

When we bought our TV I gave them the money it said on the display and they gave me some back,Oh sir it has a discount.I do think that prices are

inflated because lots of people will ask for a discount.Plus in stores with no prices sometimes there is long nose tax.

• Like 1