Cost to Build a House

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, scott h said:

don't know if things are artificial inflated knowing that you will ask for a deal?

I was in Robinson's Building Supplies and wanted to buy a Jigsaw.  I tried my best to persuade the sales clerk to give me a 10% discount.  Then I tried to get 5%  then I tried to at least get him to throw in some free extra blades.  Nothing worked!  Nope! Nope! Nope!

Then I get to the till and they scan the barcode and it comes up 10% off :Caught:  Some kind of unadvertised special or an idiot sales boy, I'll never know.

• Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Some kind of unadvertised special or an idiot sales boy, I'll never know.

Maybe both.  Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing comes to mind.  Typical everywhere, not only here!. 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Even the places we'd look for discounts in the West can work in reverse over here. I went to buy some DIY materials on Lazada which I expected to be like Ebay with items cheaper than the shops. I'd bookmarked a load of items which in my eyes seamed a not to bad price and was about to order when I thought to save time I'd go into a little hardware shop in the town. My town is just like a little provincial town a long way from a city. To my surprise they had all the goods and they were over half the price of Lazada.

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was in Robinson's Building Supplies and wanted to buy a Jigsaw.  I tried my best to persuade the sales clerk to give me a 10% discount.  Then I tried to get 5%  then I tried to at least get him to throw in some free extra blades.  Nothing worked!  Nope! Nope! Nope!

Then I get to the till and they scan the barcode and it comes up 10% off :Caught:  Some kind of unadvertised special or an idiot sales boy, I'll never know.

I was in Robinsons to buy a deep fat fryer. There was one on the shelf.

The salesboy told me that they had no stock,my friend who was with me said yes you do you lazy git it is over there.Some of these people are so lazy they don`t want to help or have to work a discount.

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

We bought our TV and fridge/freezer from the same store, both latest model Panasonic. The advertised prices were P18,000 and P28,000 respectively. The sales lad then told us that there was a promo on that month, May last year, which knocked P3000 off each item plus P500 cash back in a voucher. Great deal that I took advantage of, the only stipulation for getting the discount was that the sale was cash not credit card or HP.

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Sounds like you hit the sweetspot of better than average negotiation skills and a slow sales month. Good point though, just because discounts may be uncommon doesn't mean they do not exist. You should always try, nothing to lose.

Hardly a slow sales month as the purchases were spread over four months. The best prices were derived not from bulk buying from same dealer, apart from the sand/gravel and blocks but shopping around. The prices for cement and steel, especially, can change from week to week so sometimes one trader would be cheaper but next time it could be somebody else. I can only commend my SIL that took to this task with gusto, without asking for any personal gain. I did, however, reward her quite well for all the hard work she put in.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have had an architect make drawings for my house on the sea. It is a 2 story house, about 750 square meters plus a large 4 door garage. Before I put a shovel in the ground what is a rough price per square meter to build a house in Luzon (Ilocos Sur). To basically build the walls, flat cement roof higher end finishes?

Here is the first & second floor plan:

villa 2.pdf

villa 1.pdf

Edited by Mike In Canada

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike In Canada said:

. Before I put a shovel

In 2012 my architect here said to use 63,000 pesos per square meter (not counting land) it was in very, very close  to our final cost 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, scott h said:

In 2012 my architect here said to use 63,000 pesos per square meter (not counting land) it was in very, very close  to our final cost 

Seems a little above the Norm But I guess it depends on Labour Cost and material Quality, We never went real Top end but never Skimped either,

Our Final cost was around 35.000 sq mtr, again, whilst we are not saying inclusive of land we should bear  in mind the Perimeter walls (If you have them, This can add a good deal more in sq mtr costings  

JMH Thoughts on this

• Like 1

Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Seems a little above the Norm But I guess it depends on Labour Cost and material Quality, We never went real Top end but never Skimped either,

Our Final cost was around 35.000 sq mtr, again, whilst we are not saying inclusive of land we should bear  in mind the Perimeter walls (If you have them, This can add a good deal more in sq mtr costings  

JMH Thoughts on this

I have all the walls in place and have raised the entire property up about 2 meters with a sea wall in front. 63,000 per square meter seems very high, 35,000 is a lot better. But that still is 26,000,000 + to build a house in the Philippines when labor is very cheap. The builder wants 40% of material cost for the structure (walls roof). I will purchase the materials to make sure I don't get over charged by the builder. The finishes like kitchens, bathrooms, tiles appliances will make the big difference in price I presume. I was hoping to build for about 16,000,000 considering the buildings are cement and rebar. I guess I might have to increase my budget or build a smaller house.

• Like 1