Pacquiao goes down

virginprune
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I saw the newscasters suggest a rematch to Pacquiao but horn seems to want Mayweather next and could care less about giving Pacquiao a rematch.

When Horn was interviewed straight after the bout his reply to the question of a possible rematch was along the lines of 'anytime'. He was brimming with post fight confidence so I imagine he believes it would be a good payday that he would win. I'm sure he wants to get on and fight Mayweather now to cement his own belief in himself as world champion.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, bigpearl said:

I like others watched the fight, the 9th round was the best for Manny but at the end of the day this great athlete/human missed out, not in the bank certainly; As a senator and elected leader in a great country, now his focus should be with the people and their plight to raise the living standards of his compatriots, fight corruption and finally enjoy the wealth that he has earned from his profession without being punched in the ring again, pardon the pun. Go Manny. Agree with you Ron, A very close fight but at the end of the day he lost........ but became much wealthier.

Cheers, Steve.

My view exactly Steve.  Even though he fought a fellow countryman, I still wanted him to go out a winner.  He has been a great Ambassador for the Philippines and as you say, now has the chance to carry that on as a Senator. I think he has had enough.

The 9th Round was a great round for him and I was expecting Horn to go down.  But he didn't and I was waiting for Manny to finish him off in the 10th but again he did not.  I felt he had done his best by the end of the 9th and failed to capitalise on his position.

I am still and always will be a huge fan of his, as will the people of Philippines hold him in their highest esteem.  Long life the great Manny!!!

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'm not a huge boxing fan, but it seems to me you should have to "beat" the title holder to take his belt, not just hold your own.  Did it look like Manny was beaten?  He looked to be the least "beaten up" at the end of the fight so I suspect some bias from the judges.

As I open my Facebook this morning I see I was not the only one to think that way so I am sharing a screenshot that says it in pictures:

trash.jpg

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

He looked to be the least "beaten up" at the end of the fight so I suspect some bias from the judges.

Or maybe the Aussie gave it his all, to me he looks like an athlete that left it all in the ring

Edited by scott h
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's our hope Manny retires with his health and fantastic reputation. My wife and son met him in Japan some years back he was very gracious and posed for pictures with them. I've read online that is just how he is, a very nice man.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 7/3/2017 at 10:22 AM, Old55 said:

It's our hope Manny retires with his health and fantastic reputation. My wife and son met him in Japan some years back he was very gracious and posed for pictures with them. I've read online that is just how he is, a very nice man.

I agree. However I think Manny is trying to please his fans at the expense of his personal life and health. 

Future Hall of Fame

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Horn was almost knocked out in the 9th, how he stayed on his feet is beyond me.  I thought, 'this is it, Manny will finish him next round' did not happen, he came out sluggish and failed to capitalise on 9th successes.

Horn won 5 of the first 7 rounds, this was from the commentators and 'guest speakers' Horn clearly on top at that stage, Manny rallied and as I have said, nearly knocked him out in 9th, but failed to win last two rounds and if he had, he would have won the fight.  Horn is indeed a first rate fighter and I suspect (and it was admitted) that they took him too lightly - paid the price.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Horn was almost knocked out in the 9th, how he stayed on his feet is beyond me.  I thought, 'this is it, Manny will finish him next round' did not happen, he came out sluggish and failed to capitalise on 9th successes.

Ahhh, the infamous 9th round that is so often discussed in the local bars and coffee shops.  The question is:  Did he fail to capitalize on his 9th round success?  Or was he told to back off or there would be no rematch with a big payday in November.  With Pac Man's background in Philippine politics the latter is always a strong possibility.  I am not saying he would do that as he is renowned for his integrity.  But boxing is business and entertainment.  It seems to have become somewhat like wrestling is in the USA.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Ahhh, the infamous 9th round that is so often discussed in the local bars and coffee shops.  The question is:  Did he fail to capitalize on his 9th round success?  Or was he told to back off or there would be no rematch with a big payday in November.  With Pac Man's background in Philippine politics the latter is always a strong possibility.  I am not saying he would do that as he is renowned for his integrity.  But boxing is business and entertainment.  It seems to have become somewhat like wrestling is in the USA.

Many a truer word was spoken in jest. I have a good friend called Gary Young who was flown out to spar with Manny when he fought Ricky Hatten. Gary is a South paw and phenomenal boxer, he even put Manny on his butt. After the fight Gary was picked up by a promoter and flown to the USA to continue his professional career. He lasted just over one year in the states before returning to the UK as he was basically told what round to lose in. Once you get to the top of the game you're a business and if you can put bums on the seats you'll get built up and a title shot. If not you'll become a journeyman.

As for the fight I've had a fair few fights myself and I'd say Horn was the stronger fighter on the day. He had Manny against the ropes ample times and was by far the more aggressive fighter. Manny had his chance in the 9th and I think if he had a little more power he'd have put Horn away but it wasn't to be. Horn was saved and managed to recover, Manny had given it all in the 9th and was too tired to capitalise on it in the 10th.

As for a rematch once the bruises go away I think Manny will be given a back hander and drop out of the race to make way for Mayweather.

• Like 2