NCR Binge Weekend

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

One of the reasons I moved to Davao when I moved to the Philippines was the fact that it's a city. In addition to the services, I reasoned that a big city would have the things I knew I would grow homesick for. That turned out not to be true. Or at least, it turned out to not be very easy to find anything here where no one advertises or has web sites.

I find it bizarre that one of my local SM Supermarkets has carried Campbell's Cream of ______ soup since Day 1 but only last month began stocking Tomato (Campbell's #2 most popular soup) and Chicken Noodle (#1).

Robinson's, noted by many expats to have the most Western foods, is incredibly hit or miss down here. In fact, I've found more choice at certain Gaisano markets than at the big Robinson's.

So, help a fellow out. If I were to fly to Manila for a binge buying weekend, where would I find the best selection of booze and food a la Amerikano?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JDDavao said:

If I were to fly to Manila for a binge buying weekend, where would I find the best selection of booze and food a la Amerikano?

I like to get a cab over the Skyway to Alabang and stay somewhere like Crimson Resort.  Go when the airfares are on special and the hotel is on special.  Certain times of year you can get GREAT deals.  The traffic is good on the Skyway and in Alabang and there are 3 great malls, an S&R and a REAL IHOP and a load of other stores all within a half hour walk of the hotel.  I say that because the Manila taxi mafia works overtime there and they'll hit you up for 150 pesos to drive you across the street.

Edit:  Its the shipping that will kill you.  Last time I picked up a flat of 24 cans of V8 juice and it cost as much to bring it on the plane as to buy it.  So a person may want to figure out a way to ship his purchases as the free luggage allowance on the plane sucks.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its the shipping that will kill you.

If you are not in a hurry, fly in and then take a 2Go Superferry back.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I like to get a cab over the Skyway to Alabang and stay somewhere like Crimson Resort.  Go when the airfares are on special and the hotel is on special.  Certain times of year you can get GREAT deals.  The traffic is good on the Skyway and in Alabang and there are 3 great malls, an S&R and a REAL IHOP and a load of other stores all within a half hour walk of the hotel.  I say that because the Manila taxi mafia works overtime there and they'll hit you up for 150 pesos to drive you across the street.

That's really good info. Thanks much!