Building a Tut Tut

KiwiGrae
Posted
Posted

Hi, I'm new on this forum. I am about to start building a center car like the ones they use in Valencia Bukidnon That is similar to a Thailand Tuk Tuk but with a motor bike and rides on 4 wheels simular to the one built in Tayud, Liloan . I'm going to use a Kawasaki 175 and deck it out like a limo in leather with DVD, JBL sounds etc.

HOWEVER, I wish I could find some way of of building the Thai version that runs on 3 wheels with a diff. Dose anyone know how I can do this ? if you can please help me before I start the build.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum

I spilt your topic into its own as you posted in a topic which was dated  2012.  :smile:

robert k
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, KiwiGrae said:

Hi, I'm new on this forum. I am about to start building a center car like the ones they use in Valencia Bukidnon That is similar to a Thailand Tuk Tuk but with a motor bike and rides on 4 wheels simular to the one built in Tayud, Liloan . I'm going to use a Kawasaki 175 and deck it out like a limo in leather with DVD, JBL sounds etc.

HOWEVER, I wish I could find some way of of building the Thai version that runs on 3 wheels with a diff. Dose anyone know how I can do this ? if you can please help me before I start the build.

If you could post a picture of what you are trying to replicate, it would help. I have seen tuk tuk of various varieties, my favorite was what I would call the 5th wheel variety with the carriage centered over an axle being pulled by a motorcycle with a trailer hitch. If you are looking for a differential? Probably look at the Racal trike. I have even seen multicabs that have been turned into trikes but you could buy [300k?] a fairly nice used car for the same cost or a really nice multicab or even a used, not chopped up, imported whole Suzuki van with aircon and power steering. Not every project I would like to do is practical so I won't ask if you really want to do this.:smile:

KiwiGrae
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

If you could post a picture of what you are trying to replicate, it would help. I have seen tuk tuk of various varieties, my favorite was what I would call the 5th wheel variety with the carriage centered over an axle being pulled by a motorcycle with a trailer hitch. If you are looking for a differential? Probably look at the Racal trike. I have even seen multicabs that have been turned into trikes but you could buy [300k?] a fairly nice used car for the same cost or a really nice multicab or even a used, not chopped up, imported whole Suzuki van with aircon and power steering. Not every project I would like to do is practical so I won't ask if you really want to do this.:smile:

Robert, this is what I would like to achieve. Do you know anything about the one in Liloan. It looks like it might be chain driven but onto what differential. If the differential is connected to a drive shaft the motor would have to be converted or could it be chain driven. And if chain driven what differential would I use.

Do you live in Cebu ? could I give you a call

bdce71ca4971d72c27ea1486692e0fd5.jpg

electric-tuktuk-thailand.jpg

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, KiwiGrae said:

Do you know anything about the one in Liloan.

I was the member who originally posted the pic of the one in Liloan but they were making them there 6 or 7 years ago.  Its unlikely they are still making the same thing but I can tell you roughly how they did it.  They took the back wheel off the motorcycle, added a seating area with an axle underneath and had the motorcycle chain running that axle.  The actual mechanics of it are beyond me and it was a novelty.  Only a handfull of them were used as they were too wide for the back lanes that tricycles have to routinely go down (in that area)

The Racal models, around Dumaguete, are similar to what you mention and Racal have kept them narrow as they know the units will have to go down some narrow streets or drive on the sidewalk at some point.

Racal.jpg

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

You are in luck, they sell those in the Philippines! Bajaj and Piaggio both.

http://emcor.com.ph/product/bajaj-re/

https://youtu.be/Ut-A3AzKBM4

Edited by robert k

KiwiGrae
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your reply's. I know the Bajaj and Piaggio ones but I want a longer and wider one. I also want to run it on 13" mag rims. I would like to know what back axle they used. Its a long way from Gensan to Cebu just for a look around.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, KiwiGrae said:

I would like to know what back axle they used.

Can't help with that as its probably a "Philippine ingenuity" axle.  But it seems you are trying to re-invent the wheel.  If you want to make a business out of it, import some from China and resell them.  Here's a link:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/auto-rickshaw-tuk-tuk-three-wheelers_60670594702.html

Or do like the Chinese:  Buy one, reverse engineer it to see what they did and make your own.

EDIT:  You can also use that site to import parts.  Maybe you want to import a differential and build all the rest yourself?  Here is an example:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/D02-Utility-Vehicle-Rear-Differential_60596063789.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.39.6kf5YA

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, KiwiGrae said:

Thank you for your reply's. I know the Bajaj and Piaggio ones but I want a longer and wider one. I also want to run it on 13" mag rims. I would like to know what back axle they used. Its a long way from Gensan to Cebu just for a look around.

I wish I could have helped. I think you are heading for a world of aggravation. I wish you luck and hope you will post pictures.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, robert k said:

hope you will post pictures.

of your completed project, not of you pulling your hair out :571c66d400c8c_1(103)::thumbsup:

• Like 1