Boondocks: How did a Tagalog word enter the English Language?

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

boonies.JPG

It's in the English language! Plus, it’s in the name of a song, ‘Down in the Boondocks’ and it’s the name of a Comic Strip (and its related TV series), ‘the Boondocks.’

comics.JPG

But how did a Tagalog word enter the English language?

According to Wiki:

The expression was introduced to English by U.S. military. U.S. personnel fighting in the Philippine-American War (1899-1902). It derives from the Tagalog word "bundók", which means "mountain." According to military historian Paul A. Kramer, the term originally had "connotations of bewilderment and confusion", due to the guerilla warfare in which the soldiers were engaged.

In the Philippines, the word bundók is also a colloquialism referring to rural inland areas, which are usually mountainous and difficult to access, as most major cities and settlements in the Philippines are located in lowlands or near the coastline. Equivalent terms include the Spanish-derived probinsiya ("province") and the Cebuano term bukid ("mountain"). When used generally, the term refers to a rustic or uncivilized area. When referring to people (taga-bundok or probinsiyano in Tagalog; taga-bukid in Cebuano; English: "someone who comes from the mountains/provinces"), it acquires a derogatory connotation of a stereotype of unsophisticated, ignorant, and illiterate country people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boondocks#Expanded_meanings

However, since Wiki is not considered to be a credible source of information, I’m open to other explanations of how this Tagalog word entered the English language.

But no matter how the word actually entered the English language, I still find it interesting that I was learning a Tagalog word back in 1964 when I was listening to a random song on the radio in the USA. Little did I know back then that I’d be living over here when I got older, learning so many more words. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

And lets not forget the most excellent movie "Boondock Saints" :smile:

It's funny, I'd always assumed it was American but there you go.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Haha 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

This thread is much like the other thread about how the word Boondocks entered the English language.:hystery:

Jake
Posted
Posted

As you may know, the US military call their utility boots "boondocks" -- I still have mine somewhere.  

Another tidbit or trivia item is the creation of the .45 cal pistol which directly relates to the Filipino/American war of 1898.  Google it and you will find it very interesting.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

And lets not forget the most excellent movie "Boondock Saints" :smile:

It's funny, I'd always assumed it was American but there you go.

Well, it seems that I’ve overlooked at least one other example of Boondock(s)… are there any others?

I may be going off-topic by saying this… but I never learned about the Philippine-American War in the US. The public schools over there ignored that war (as well as the ‘Mexican-American War’ too).

I’m almost ashamed to say that this but I wasn’t aware of the Philippine-American War until I watched the film, ‘Heneral Luna,’ over here in the Philippines. embarrassed.gif

P.S. I was also unaware of General Arthur MacArthur Jr. (the Father of General Douglas MacArthur) and how he took part in the Philippine-American War until I watched ‘Heneral Luna.’ Thank God for the Philippine film industry!!!

Capture.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I’m almost ashamed to say that this but I wasn’t aware of the Philippine-American War until I watched the film, ‘Heneral Luna,’ over here in the Philippines.

Yeah, it is interesting to watch some of the older philippine movies which are kind of like our old western's but where the US Army is the bad guy.

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, earthdome said:

Yeah, it is interesting to watch some of the older philippine movies which are kind of like our old western's but where the US Army is the bad guy.

There's some very good reasons for that. big-thumbs-down-smiley-emoticon.gif

http://www.filipiknow.net/philippine-american-history/

Capture.JPG

Edited by Mark Berkowitz