UK Beef back in the Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

you will be having apples sauce on your lichon next.

Oh yes.  Call me old skool but Oh yes.

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I am very partial to beef steak so I look forward to getting some of the UK stuff. I only hope they don't ship the poor quality stuff they can't get rid of elsewhere. 

The best I have found so far is the frozen 'Ranch house' branded ones from the US sold in our local S&R. A bit pricey but worth it. Their chilled  'Montana' line which I guess is also from the US, is generally not too bad but they do tend to slice it a bit thin.

In my experience the fresh Aussie steaks they sell are really quite poor quality, surprisingly, but still quite expensive.

SM Supermarket sell quite a good Japanese frozen steak called Tamiya or Terriyaki or something similar. Very succulent and tender and very reasonably priced.

I find the locally produced stuff to be rubbish. 

Ken

robert k
Posted
Posted

Beef can be tenderized with electricity.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I only hope they don't ship the poor quality stuff they can't get rid of elsewhere. 

You mean like the mad cows?  :hystery:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Gary D
Posted
Posted

It's nice to know you can get non US beef in the fils, US beef is banded in Europe over health issues.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gary D said:

It's nice to know you can get non US beef in the fils, US beef is banded in Europe over health issues.

As was British beef on the Continent some years ago so yes, it will be great to have it again if the price and quality is right

Gary D
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

As was British beef on the Continent some years ago so yes, it will be great to have it again if the price and quality is right

The difference was that we had a brief disease outbreak. US beef is band because of the way it's reared. Growth hormones giving men breasts etc.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Gary D said:

Growth hormones giving men breasts etc.

There you go "Madcows" bit like the he/shes EH?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

In my experience the fresh Aussie steaks they sell are really quite poor quality, surprisingly, but still quite expensive.

Indeed. At our S&R, the Aussie beef is very brown. I'd buy it in a NY minute if it looked better. Same with the lamb. I'm not sure where it comes from (can't remember) but the meat looks pathetic.

SM Supermarket sell quite a good Japanese frozen steak called Tamiya or Terriyaki or something similar. Very succulent and tender and very reasonably priced.

I used to buy those all of the time! Tajima, I think but that's the type, not the brand. Or maybe it's both. Anyway, the quality went down at my SM and I stopped buying them.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I made the mistake of ordering a steak in a restaurant in Scotland when I had a rare day off the sub. That was almost 40 years ago and to this day it is still the worst steak I have ever had. I agree that the lot fed beef in the US is very tasty but perhaps not as healthy as the grass fed beef.

Recently we visited a local farm (US midwest) run by a young couple that raises and sells cage free eggs, broilers, grass fed lambs and beef using natural pasture. They were very gracious with their time spending almost 2 hours showing us their farm and discussing with us the operation. Everything we have tried from them has been very good yet raised naturally.