Bad Cookies

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 8/15/2017 at 0:43 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

My pet peeves are the sites that pop up "are you sure" when you want to exit or pop to another ad when you try to exit and sometimes you have to actually close the browser and re-open it

Also the sites that autoplay videos at max volume. Wasting my data and waking everyone up at 2am is a sure way to get me to think about shoving their product up their F'n asses and remember never to purchase the product.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
On 8/16/2017 at 2:21 PM, AlwaysRt said:

Also the sites that autoplay videos at max volume. Wasting my data and waking everyone up at 2am is a sure way to get me to think about shoving their product up their F'n asses and remember never to purchase the product.

Yes, I hear you on that!

Of course, there's a way to handle that sort of crap as well but, depending on the browser, it requires a little more love and on-going attention than is required for an ad-blocker, but once it's set up and one has some practice with it, it becomes second-nature.

For Firefox users, NoScript is the gold-standard - it tames Flash and JavaScript, which are the roots of all evil for wasting bandwidth, making websites load slowly, and which also present significant security risks.

For Chrome, unfortunately there is version of NoScript available, but there are two good alternatives - uMatrix (MicroMatrix) and ScriptSafe.

For Internet Explorer, which one shouldn't be using anyway if one cares about speed and security, I'm not aware of anything like NoScript, but I haven't paid significant attention to or used it in years. I understand there is some ability to do something similar within IE, but I have no first-hand experience with it.

If one REALLY wants a fast and secure web browsing experience, check out Google Chromebooks. One of the many great things about them, at least for this discussion, is that they DO NO use either Flash or Javascript so, obviously, script blockers and Flash blockers aren't required.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I noticed the Cebu Pacific site is a great one for showing one price but, when you click on that flight to check it, the price will jump...  Clearing cookies doesn't help...

A nice little tip for all...  Not sure about the other airlines but, if you search on Cebu Pacific and find your best deal, book it but select the other option to pay (very bottom) and go with the 24 hours payment...  Then go straight to your local Cebu Pacific store - NOT just a travel agent but a CP outlet...  Have them search the time frame you want...  Hmm...  Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't...  Lol!  My Visa Run to Singapore was over p15,000 online (cheapest price from Davao and back - both return and individual tickets) yet I got it for p7200 at the CP outlet...  My throwaway to China was p700 online and p8,900 at the store...  Go figure!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, i am bob said:

I noticed the Cebu Pacific site is a great one for showing one price but, when you click on that flight to check it, the price will jump...  Clearing cookies doesn't help...

Of Course. It shows the price then if you proceed it shows you the taxes etc. Nothing wrong with that except when looking at firstone thinks thats a good price which maybe so. In other words it is showing the fare then after that it shows the total cost with tax and whatever.

No removing cookies wont change that because its the fare structure. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Of Course. It shows the price then if you proceed it shows you the taxes etc

I hope everyone who books with Cebu Pacific is aware that the "etc" can be removed?  When you book with Cebu Pacific online they add a lot of options by default.  I find I have to click on each option to say NO and get the fare back to exactly what they advertised.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I hope everyone who books with Cebu Pacific is aware that the "etc" can be removed?  When you book with Cebu Pacific online they add a lot of options by default.  I find I have to click on each option to say NO and get the fare back to exactly what they advertised.

You are right but I was thinking that the "admin, tax and fees" were added on after the fare was quoted but that is incorrect. 

admin tax.jpg

hk blues
Posted
Posted

It is sneaky of them to include extras...surely by definition an extra should be added, not deducted, as required? Yes, easily removed but still adds to the process.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 8/24/2017 at 9:53 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Now in the booking, when you get to the add ons, like paying fees for all check in baggage, etc., you can click near the top right "Continue without add ons". No need to do one at a time. It takes you to the payment page.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, jpbago said:

you can click near the top right

Thats good to know.  Nice to see things changing for the better.  They are not the only company that adds "extras by default" but at least they seem open minded.

The companies I hate are the ones like Netflix who make an automatic withdrawal each month unless you tell them well in advance to cancel the account.  So I did that.  I don't mind "automatic withdrawal" as an option but I hate when they insist it is the only way you are going to get the service.  Mind you, they were good about stopping the withdrawals when I canceled.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The companies I hate are the ones like Netflix who make an automatic withdrawal each month unless you tell them well in advance to cancel the account.  

Equifax and Amazon Prime are two more that do the automatic charge unless you put a check mark in the "Do not do that, notify me 3 days before". These are annual charges.