STREAMING live sports and how much bandwidth needed ?

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted

Wanted to watch LIVE NFL games but thinking my net is too slow although promised at 20 Mbps, not getting that when running test to SF, CALIfornia. What would you guys say is minimum needed ? Might have to run it with a VPN to top it off. Wanted to know before I invest $200 in GAMEPASS or $250 on an Nvidia Shield. Speedtest are weird, my upload is way faster than my download and I noticed if I run 5 tests in a row my speeds seem to keep going up, almost like they know I'm checking on them, PLDT fibr.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I think you already figured this out from the other topic you started on internet speeds. You could have a 100 Mbps connection to your ISP but if your ISP can only give you 1 Mbps to your streaming service it likely will not stream very well.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 8/14/2017 at 6:52 PM, bang4dabuck said:

Wanted to watch LIVE NFL games but thinking my net is too slow although promised at 20 Mbps, not getting that when running test to SF, CALIfornia. What would you guys say is minimum needed ? Might have to run it with a VPN to top it off. Wanted to know before I invest $200 in GAMEPASS or $250 on an Nvidia Shield. Speedtest are weird, my upload is way faster than my download and I noticed if I run 5 tests in a row my speeds seem to keep going up, almost like they know I'm checking on them, PLDT fibr.

I agree with speedtest results, very suspect as I see it.   I used (and hope to use here) an apps box in Thailand and streamed all types of sports, gridiron was available although I never watched it.  But no matter what I used it buffered fairly regularly, although at time it was ok.  I am told it is due to cramming the 'bandwidth' by the service provider (term  used loosely here) with excess users.  My friend in Thailand who is pretty clued up on this stuff says that the VPN slows the service down and he uses a 'proxy server' whatever that means? He has 25mps in Thailand and is having reception problems still - their system is way ahead of here, so not sure you can  expect too much.

I am about to get 20mps on fiber optic cable next week, is that available in Cebu?  I will let you and all know how that goes.

• Like 1

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mogo51 said:

I agree with speedtest results, very suspect as I see it.   I used (and hope to use here) an apps box in Thailand and streamed all types of sports, gridiron was available although I never watched it.  But no matter what I used it buffered fairly regularly, although at time it was ok.  I am told it is due to cramming the 'bandwidth' by the service provider (term  used loosely here) with excess users.  My friend in Thailand who is pretty clued up on this stuff says that the VPN slows the service down and he uses a 'proxy server' whatever that means? He has 25mps in Thailand and is having reception problems still - their system is way ahead of here, so not sure you can  expect too much.

I am about to get 20mps on fiber optic cable next week, is that available in Cebu?  I will let you and all know how that goes.

Yeah I'm in an unusual situation where my landlord is in charge of the net so I go by what he tells me. I do know it's at least 20 and that's what my tests show because I've never seen anything close to 50.  

CRAMMING ? Do you mean the stream couldn't handle all the streamers or rather your ISP didn't have enough bandwidth ?

Please let me know what you experience. Are you using KODI ?

i have to study up on VPN vs DNS proxy. I heard the proxy is faster and Express VPN appears a lot on websites and it seems geared for this part of the world.

Edited by bang4dabuck

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Yes in Thailand was using Kodi plus others that my friend added to my box. I have no k nowledge about VPN vs proxy other than what my friend tells me and he is all over what is the latest

I am a racing fan and watch Aussie races  from home when in Thailand and hoping I can do the same here.  Currently going to a resort bar who has all the stuff including Ausie races..

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Not sure about the tech specs, but I have Game Pass here in Japan and usually no problems.   But another, although less favorable, option  is if you can get G-Sat for TV coverage as they show a lot of NFL games and other sports on something I believe called "Sports Illustrated Channel"....whether it has any relation to the magazine, I have no idea.  I watched a bunch of playoff games last yr with a bud down in Sorsogon City on his big screen Tv and it was excellent.  Lucky for me, one was Seattle Seahawks, but I have no idea if they show all the season games on delay/replay, etc like I can get here in Japan on AFN, although I use Game Pass for some games, which is usually awesome (some tech glitches once in while).  

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted

On August 16, 2017 at 7:54 PM, Nickleback99 said:

Not sure about the tech specs, but I have Game Pass here in Japan and usually no problems.   But another, although less favorable, option  is if you can get G-Sat for TV coverage as they show a lot of NFL games and other sports on something I believe called "Sports Illustrated Channel"....whether it has any relation to the magazine, I have no idea.  I watched a bunch of playoff games last yr with a bud down in Sorsogon City on his big screen Tv and it was excellent.  Lucky for me, one was Seattle Seahawks, but I have no idea if they show all the season games on delay/replay, etc like I can get here in Japan on AFN, although I use Game Pass for some games, which is usually awesome (some tech glitches once in while).  

In Sorgsogon was that LIVE or replay ? 

What would be cool is if you could start the game and go do something for 15 minutes and then move the cursor to the start point and watch the game but 15 minutes behind actual while your device keeps on downloading the stream. Not sure if I explained it well or if it's even possible but it should be. That way it should be smooth with no buffering. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

PVRs are widely available that will do that.