CTPL - Compulsory Third Party Liability Insurance.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Does that 3 year cover include motorbikes.Personally remembering where we live I think compulsory insurance is a good thing.How many locals would bother otherwise or how many expats would bother come to that.

It seems that they don't bother as last Thursday, in Davao, in 3 hours, 138 m/cs and 4 cars were seized due to paperwork:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/local-news/2017/08/25/142-vehicles-seized-during-oplan-lambat-bitag-sasakyan-560545

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, jpbago said:

It seems that they don't bother as last Thursday, in Davao, in 3 hours, 138 m/cs and 4 cars were seized due to paperwork:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/local-news/2017/08/25/142-vehicles-seized-during-oplan-lambat-bitag-sasakyan-560545

Yes but if they do register it they have insurance.The people who don`t register are the usual suspects who would not do anything correctly which cost them money.

I know people like that in the Uk as well as here.If you have it and somebody hits your car with a MB who is uninsured and his family ask for money you can direct them to your insurance company and they will tell them no.

I have heard stories of expats who have been driven into who have paid out 50,000 for somebody else`s funeral who was not insured, insurance would stop this well maybe remembering where we are.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/25/2017 at 9:57 AM, intrepid said:

Went through the same thing a few months ago.  We have full coverage also with CTPL.  However, when we renewed or registration they demanded a new CTPL because even though it was current and purchased less than four months ago, they claimed it would expire before the registration.  So my lesson was to purchase your CTPL when renewing registration unless you want double CTPL.  Typical again like everything else here.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

After going through this process I think your insurance agent made the "mistake".  They should not have sold you mandatory CTPL with the same date as your normal full coverage.  So if he sold it to you with an effective date before your registration was due, he was selling you coverage that you already had, even if you didn't know it.  It is mandatory so if you were registered, you already had it.  (I assume you bought a used car).

CTPL date should correspond with your registration date or you might risk a problem at LTO.  I had my original full coverage and 1 renewal, but my agent never tried to sell me CPTL until my registration was due, notifying me a few months before renewal.  Renewal is based on the last two numbers of your plate, so there should be no confusion there.

I went to LTO yesterday and renewed my registration due on Nov. 1 (plate ending in 00).  Gave them the insurance certificate with the effective date of Nov. 1, and no issues.

On 8/25/2017 at 11:26 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Mine never has.  The insurance expires 1 year after getting it and the registration expires on a certain date each year.  It means when I renew my registration a couple weeks before the expiry I end up with insurance that expires 2 weeks before the registration does.

Don't misunderstand me, the system is weird but it works.  Next year I will also renew 2 weeks before the registration expires so will actually be renewing when the insurance expires rather than when the registration expires so I am always covered, for what its worth :hystery:

I could see how you could have a problem when you renew the registration, but perhaps you have been lucky at your local LTO.  Since the insurance is "mandatory", how do they know you will renew next year, 2 weeks before registration?  Maybe they allow a small window and Intrepid's was outside of that window.