Cost of living

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 9/7/2017 at 4:33 AM, sonjack2847 said:

I wonder where that survey took place.Some of the prices are a little high and I have lived in 3 location in the 6 years I have been here. How many different people did they survey.Nice post though.

Have you always been down south Kev, did you ever spend any time in Luzon?  I am still looking at the costs here because we have not really had a chance when it is just a 'normal' month cost wise.  Settling in and buying various things to 'get through' until our BB boxes arrived (which they now have).  So it is a 'more expensive' time, also now moving to our house, costs are lining up.

But by  end of this month I will be able to start to get an accurate figure.  However, as I usually did the shopping in Thailand, I know it is considerably less expensive here.  It is showing a figure of around 45k pesos a month which includes 15k for rent will be achievable.  That is a comparable life style to Thailand.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

It is showing a figure of around 45k pesos a month which includes 15k for rent will be achievable.  That is a comparable life style to Thailand.

What are the actual numbers?  I mean what did a comparable life style in Thailand cost you?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What are the actual numbers?  I mean what did a comparable life style in Thailand cost you?

I think this hits the nail on the head.

No real point in comparing notional cost of living - as most have already pointed out it's down to what you spend your money on.

The only real comparison is how much you spent in location A v how much in location B.

• Thanks 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

I think this hits the nail on the head.

No real point in comparing notional cost of living - as most have already pointed out it's down to what you spend your money on.

The only real comparison is how much you spent in location A v how much in location B.

Still too much variable unless you live the exact lifestyle, accommodations and all.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

A lot will depend on your location in the country as well as your "foreign" comfort needs.  The only part of Mexico I ever saw was the touristy places - and they were way too expensive: Acapulco, Cancun, Cozumel, and Tijuana (plus a few others). I never was out in "real" Mexico.  It is kind of the same here in the PIs. Manila is going to cost more than out in the province, but have a lot more conveniences.

My 3 main places I considered was India, Thailand, and Philippines.  For all my Mexico vacations it never was a consideration for moving there.  India & Thailand had the benefits of better food and more sensible religions (buddhism and hinduism just make more sense to me).  India and Philippines have better English.  All are pretty cheap.  The Philippines won because of the super easy immigration, more than budgetary concerns... well... the prettier girls helped too ha ha

I know guys here that get $4,000 USD a month for retirement and somehow manage to spend it all. I never spent that much in the US - even as a single dad. I have been hearing a lot of good about Vietnam and Cambodia lately.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have been hearing a lot of good about Vietnam and Cambodia lately.

Yep.  I have too.  But then I hear that English is not nearly as commonly understood as here in Philippines and that is a prime criteria for me.  I want to be able to have a conversation of sorts with the local people.

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Try drinking Emperador Light, its only 123p a liter. 

http://www.emperadorbrandy.com/emperador-light.html

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yep.  I have too.  But then I hear that English is not nearly as commonly understood as here in Philippines and that is a prime criteria for me.  I want to be able to have a conversation of sorts with the local people.

I liked Vietnam very much: great food and the women are pretty. But for most people no English - I mean flat out none. Hotels give out their cards in Vietnamese because the taxis can't even understand you if you say "Take me to the Hilton/Sheraton/wherever."

mogo51
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Give it a rest Dave.  I thought I explained myself perfectly in my post.  Are you the school Principal.?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Give it a rest Dave.

Yes, of course.  I shall not reply to any more of your posts as I see it offends you.  I am sorry for that, it was not intended.

If anyone else on the forum finds they do not like my replies to their posts I am quite content to give your posts a miss.  Just send a "polite" private message to explain you are not receptive to my replies.  Thanks in advance.

• Old55 locked this topic
  • Jollygoodfellow unlocked this topic