Adventures In Rental Hunting!

russellmania
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, MikeB said:

Everything is negotiable, in fact it's expected. You could tell her to deduct the HOA from the rent or pay it herself. p30k is a lot, where is this, Manila?

Its in new subdivision in Banawa Cebu City. You know a small surprise at the signing of the least for P400 or P500 is no big deal. But to spring P3,400 extra on the monthly rent is shocking to say the least.

Edited by russellmania
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, russellmania said:

But to spring P3,400 extra on the monthly rent is shocking to say the least.

There is a Department that Controls these charges and are at this time are looking into those that are out of order;

http://business.inquirer.net/230348/homeowners-associations-dues

RBM
Posted
Posted

As mentioned normal for Tennant to pay dues. Agents usually receive one months rent from landlord. Knowing the area of Banawa you must be looking at a good sized unito with views. 

Previously I have obtained good discounts by offering to pay up front 6 months rental. One must be sure of the unit though.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

What is the 'Home Association Fee'?  Is it payable everywhere?

davewe
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

What is the 'Home Association Fee'?  Is it payable everywhere?

HOAs are common in the Philippines and are becoming very common in the US. While I was shopping for apartments and then a house I always asked if there were any HOA or "extra fees."

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, russellmania said:

Its in new subdivision in Banawa Cebu City. You know a small surprise at the signing of the least for P400 or P500 is no big deal. But to spring P3,400 extra on the monthly rent is shocking to say the least.

I'm sure it's nice but always ask "last price". I lived in Cebu City for almost a year when I first moved to the Philippines. Not so nice but ok, a very small 2 BR apt in a family compound in Happy Valley. I was paying p9k per month and thought I had a good deal. Found out months later the owner had been advertising it for p7k, saw the ad myself. And THAT was probably negotiable. 

Edited by MikeB

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted (edited)

I couldn't believe how primative the real estate industry is in the Philippines (Angeles City). When I would call an agent to see a property listed on line it would take them a week to find a car so we could go look at the unit. No centralized listing so if you wanted a two or three bedroom bungalow they could only show you the one or two units in their inventory. Some of the showings were beyond dirty, they were filthy. I couldn't believe how many agents wanted to show me stand alone houses that were for sale, when I told them I was a foreigner and was only looking for rental properties at this time. 

Edited by Happyhorn52
  • Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

I couldn't believe how primative the real estate industry is in the Philippines (Angeles City). When I would call an agent to see a property listed on line it would take them a week to find a car so we could go look at the unit. No centralized listing so if you wanted a two or three bedroom bungalow they could only show you one or two units in their inventory. Some of the showings were beyond dirty, they were filthy.

I've had some shockers of real estate agents. Someone could make a killing if they were organised especially when dealing with foreigners.

Looking online you'll see loads of places advertised yet most are already taken. Mega inflated prices that put you off even though chances are the owner would accept a lower offer or worse still loads with no prices. Dodgy agents that find a place for you and add 10% without informing you then pretending they've got you a 5% discount. 

I could go on but I'm sure you get the message. In short the safest way is to find an area you like. Speak to some locals to find out how much they pay and then look for vacancies. White nose tax is rampant here. 

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

White nose tax is rampant here. 

The "white nose tax." Gotta remember that one!

Edited by davewe

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, davewe said:

The "white nose tax." Gotta remember that one!

You tend to notice it more when you go out with your Filipino partner and she buys things that you've bought previously yet she pays a lot less. It's a good excuse not to go shopping 😁