The "white nose tax."

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just now, Mike J said:

I am surprised a math wiz like yourself let that one get passed you.

:bonk: Yep.  If it was my business I'd do the same thing, as in tack on 5% to all prices.  I'm just afraid that the local filipino sari sari owners don't clue in to this and the everyone will put their prices up.  I mean why not?  It is not hurting their customer base. In fact some sari sari stores are doing that in high traffic spots like along the beach.  I suspect they run two prices also.  One price for friends and neighbors and another price for people they are unlikely to see again.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I suspect they run two prices also.  One price for friends and neighbors and another price for people they are unlikely to see again.

Certainly agree with this, My Sori Sori is pretty Good and treats my friends as he does me BUT:571c66d400c8c_1(103): "A" has a Friend with a Store on the main road and she indeed has varying prices depending on who is who but more Importantly, she charges those that will buy on credit an extra little to cover her wait for Payment and of course offset any delinquents :smile:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Many sori sori stores go bust because the owners have no idea about profit margin. The foreigner is just ensuring the success of his business. Many beaches and venues have split pricing for locals and foreigners. It even happens here in the UK, York castle and musuem spring to mind where York residents get a discount.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gary D said:

in the UK, York castle and musuem spring to mind where York residents get a discount.

I see you point but a Discount is a bit different to two tariff Charges

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

I see you point but a Discount is a bit different to two tariff Charges

I used the word discount because as local tax payers that is what they get but it's listed as two price bands, local and tourist.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Gary D said:

I used the word discount because as local tax payers that is what they get but it's listed as two price bands, local and tourist.

That is the case here also but what we are talking about is plain Double pricing and more if your face don't Fit or they think they can get more just because you have a pretty watch on. :wink: I have been in places where my Wife and daughter are counted as Foreigners just because I am with them. That is why so many of us stand on the Sidelines until the ticket is bought :thumbsup:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

If it's any consolation it's not just in the Philippines. I was in Kathmandu, Nepal and there was a list of prices depending on what country you came from to use a chair lift to get to one of their monasteries. The funny thing was if you had a goat with you the goat cost more than a Nepalese but less than an American.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JDDavao said:

My wife gets angry at the tricycle drivers here who pull over for us and ask, "How much?" She says, "How much?! How much it's supposed to cost!" Then they wave her off and drive away, empty, making no money. Financial geniuses.

I needed a lift home from the boulevard here in Dumaguete,the trike driver said how much I said 1 peso he laughed and let me get in as he must have realised I knew the price.There are bars in Dalaguete that charge the locals less than tourists or expats living there.I don`t come across it very often but when I do it kisses me off.

Where I lived in the UK locals ( of north east Somerset) who could prove their address would get  a discount at the Roman baths.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

there was a list of prices depending on what country you came

That's different, but I like it better than the white nose tax because we Canadians come from a poor country than the USA so we would probably get a better price.  But I still have the same white nose as some Americans.  I wonder if black Americans get the white nose tax?  Asian Americans?  Do they get zapped with it?

• Haha 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That's different, but I like it better than the white nose tax because we Canadians come from a poor country than the USA so we would probably get a better price.  But I still have the same white nose as some Americans.  I wonder if black Americans get the white nose tax?  Asian Americans?  Do they get zapped with it?

Having watched videos on youtube by some Americans that happen to be black, it seems to run the gamut from ones saying the Filipino is the most discriminating people to those who say they have escaped racism entirely by moving to the Philippines. I tend to fall on the side that if they discriminate against foreigners (not all do by a long shot), I believe they discriminate equally against all foreign race, creed, color and nation of origin, and I'm ok with that, it's their country after all.

Unrelated to Dave's question, I had a trike driver want 70 pesos to transport me home 2 km away. I offered 40, and he said no. I just wished him good luck with that business plan and walked home with a grocery sack in each hand. It was just after sunset. I think the trike drivers get a little more predatory after dark. I usually have my own vehicle and that means I rarely have to deal with such nonsense.