The "white nose tax."

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gary D said:

It even happens here in the UK, York castle and musuem spring to mind where York residents get a discount.

We have a bit of that here in Subic.  I inquired today at Camayan resort beach and they offer 50% discount to local residents, no matter your nose length or color.  It is only for the slow season though.  Another new water park is offering the same and advertises it on local radio.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, RBM said:

Would like to hear from mogul 51 as understand in Thailand it's common practice to charge more for non Thais.

I have come across it in Thailand Bruce.

davewe
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Gary D said:

I used the word discount because as local tax payers that is what they get but it's listed as two price bands, local and tourist.

Very common in the US. There is a resident fee (as in you're a State of Oregon resident) and a non-resident fee. Totally understandable as in some cases local taxes pay for it. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, davewe said:

Very common in the US.

My home town of San Diego is a tourist town, and prominently displayed at most government run tourist attractions at the prices for locals and out of towners, just show your ID with your zip code and you get a lower fee. 

So it happens all over, just doesn't make you feel better when your dishing out the extra cash lol :angry:

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, davewe said:

Very common in the US. There is a resident fee (as in you're a State of Oregon resident) and a non-resident fee. Totally understandable as in some cases local taxes pay for it. 

Hawaii has its Kama'aina discount as well. Prove you have a local Hawaii address and you get a discount from the offered price.

ClearSky
Posted
Posted

In USA we have a much different rate for University depending on if a person lives in the same state.

Interesting I have actually had some services or help in the Philippines for free because of being a foreigner.  I recall unloading concrete bags one day while a few younger guys walked by.   They looked at me and laughed,  then stopped and quickly unloaded them for me.  I was going to give some payment,  but they just said no and moved on.  I am older,  but not at all unable to do some simple work.   I think they helped because in the opinion they thought it was silly for a foreigner to be doing this thing.  Never seen them again.  Little things like this occur from time to time,  but not as often as the opposite.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Clermont
Posted
Posted

No white nose tax for me, I'm always "Pordoy", when we go shopping. The wife  does the paying and woe and behold if they try to charge her 1 Peso more than what the price should be. Hard to explain, but the older generation have got a certain knack when belittling the younger generation in front of everyone when trying to charge their long nose more than what it should be. :hystery:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 9/14/2017 at 10:07 PM, ClearSky said:

Interesting I have actually had some services or help in the Philippines for free because of being a foreigner.  I recall unloading concrete bags one day while a few younger guys walked by.   They looked at me and laughed,  then stopped and quickly unloaded them for me.  I was going to give some payment,  but they just said no and moved on. 

Thanks for the reminder.  5 years back I used to walk from my house in Biliran province to the town of Naval, have coffee and chat with the guys, buy any groceries for the day, and walk home.  One day one of the local habal habal riders stopped and insisted he give me a ride.  I tried to tell him this was my daily exercise but he (and all my other filipino neighbors) thought I was crazy to walk 9 + 9 = 18 km per day so he insisted I accept a ride at no charge as he was going that way anyway.  I did not tell him that I actually walk 20 km a day because after dropping off the groceries I would walk another 1 km to my local pub and then walk home after a couple hours there.

• Like 3

Kuya M
Posted
Posted

Capture.JPG