Has anyone bought a linear refrigerator?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

It would be worth it if you also get a full time house keeper

The ads say that the ref keeps vegetables as fresh as the day you bought them, but if I had a full time housekeeper then I could just send her to the market to get fresh veggies every day.

I am trying to justify getting a new fridge as this one I have now is non inverter, bargain basement, manual defrost and I think this "linear" stuff is the new wave of modern tech.  However, I have to admit it seems out of my price range so its unlikely I will buy one in the near future.  

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Although I have always been a fan of new technology, I have learned the hard way to let others experiment with the new models.  whether it be cars or appliances.  I now like to wait until that new item/model has a proven tract record for a few years.  The two benefits I see are the price will lower soon enough and also any bugs/issues will be worked out.  Many years ago when the regular inverter ref came out, I needed one and bought it.  It didn’t take long to learn it was not designed correct and could barely keep up with a small family opening the door several times a day.  Could not freeze water unless standing all night.  It only lasted until out of warranty.  The replacement is now over nine years old and working fine.
I too am going to purchase a new ref next week.  The linear inverter by LG does look promising and I did consider it while researching,….until I saw the price.  Dropped off my list right away.  But hoping the price will come down by the time I’m ready for another new ref.  In the meantime, the regular inverter compressor ref will do for me.

• Like 4

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted (edited)

The price does seem a little high considering it doesn't have an in door ice maker. Here's one with all the bell's and whistles for only a few dollars more.

https://www.abenson.com.ph/products/gr-x247csav

Edited by Happyhorn52
  • Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/14/2017 at 5:37 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Cost of living includes buying and replacing appliances like refrigerators, which cost as much as most other countries in some cases.

The latest "gimmick" I have seen is the LG inverter type linear refrigerator.  The inverter type ref has become quite popular and they can be bought for under 20K pesos but what is the advantage to the inverter linear type?  The price tag is quadruple what the normal inverter type costs and I cannot imagine the cost being justified.

Is it worth the money?

Here is an example of one you could buy for only 100K pesos.

Is the cost just because of the "linear" type or because it is a 24 cu. ft.? That's a big refrigerator. We just bought a Samsung Inverter ref and looked at refs from 9 - 12 cu. ft. We got an 11 cu. ft. model at Imperial for about the price you mentioned. Those SUV sized refs are popular in the US now for "large" people shopping at Costco. I have a buddy who has one and you could put a dead body in the freezer.

So I wouldn't get sucked into the linear thing. Just look at ones that are large enough (or small enough) for your needs and probably get an inverter. I'm now in a house with an inverter aircon and ref, so it will be interesting to see what energy savings I get.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

If you look online at a site like Amazon you see that most 24 inch refrigerators are in the $2,000 plus range depending upon if you want a door in door ice maker or other extras. The last refrigerator I bought was in 2009 and I paid over $2,000 then, and that was middle of the line but with an indoor ice maker. The problem is sticker shock when you only buy items every 20 - 30 years you are shocked at how much prices have risen since your last purchase. Buy the unit you like and don't worry about the cost as it should last a good 30 years and the extra cost spread over that many years is only a few pennies extra a day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

At 100,000 pesos, any refrigerator at that price would need to be big enough to live in! Then again, think of the savings on a/c. :smile:

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Big expense up front and what is the likelihood the linear version will save more than p80,000 in electricity usage over the 'standard' type inverter? Sounds like a big price to pay for bragging rights, which seems to be the only benefit at the current price point.

• Like 5

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

Back in 1985, when i was living in the Philippines for the first time, i had no frige for 5 months. Nothing went bad, we just went to the market twice a week.32 years later i have a very nice refrigerator that keeps things fresh for weeks, but now i miss the excitement of the markets......... 

• Like 3

Castaway
Posted
Posted
On 9/15/2017 at 10:23 AM, intrepid said:

Although I have always been a fan of new technology, I have learned the hard way to let others experiment with the new models.  whether it be cars or appliances.  I now like to wait until that new item/model has a proven tract record for a few years.  The two benefits I see are the price will lower soon enough and also any bugs/issues will be worked out. 

Yes! I paid $1,000 (US) back in 2002 for a 32 inch (LCD) HD TV but now you can find 32 inch (LED) HD TV's for less than $200.

Capture.JPG

• Like 3