World to end this month. Drink up

Castaway
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

For myself I have good days and great days, but some days while living here the words "dead end" come to mind, as though even though I'm feeling healthy and relatively young, sometimes I feel that my options for my best days and experiences are behind me now. Hope I'm not being too maudlin folks.

No Queenie, you are not being too maudlin.

At the age of 64, I know that there's less time ahead of me than what came before. So, on one hand, I feel like this Expat Life is my last hurrah on this planet and I always try to make the best of it.

However, on the other hand, I still feel vibrant enough to have dreams for a better life... and although this may be an unpopular thought on this EPF, I have dreams of returning to the States, since I want to provide a better life for my new family.

For what it's worth, I just can't rest with the idea of my life ending over here as an Expat with no future for my Filipino family.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Well I guess we can say this prediction came true. For Steve, after calling his wife "fat". :whistling::hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

That's interesting Mike that you feel that way. Without getting too personal, could you please tell us why you say that?   I've felt that off and on living here too, and wondered if others felt that way, or for many different reasons. 

For myself I have good days and great days, but some days while living here the words "dead end" come to mind, as though even though I'm feeling healthy and relatively young, sometimes I feel that my options for my best days and experiences are behind me now. Hope I'm not being too maudlin folks.

Good Morning Queenie,

I think all of us have good and bad days. That starts just about the moment we are born and continues through life. For better or worse, this is life and is what we have to deal with.

Naturally for most of us (me included) there are far more days behind us than there are ahead. That's the way it's supposed to be isn't it? All are born and all must die. Our birth is an automatic death sentence. What's important is what we do with the time that we are allotted.  

Decisions we make shape our lives for good or bad and we must live with those decisions. I moved here to the islands in 2003 to get married. Problem was that the company I had worked for went under and so went the retirement. I arrived at the Manila Airport with only $700us dollars to my name. That's all, that it. My wife worked and continues to work a full time job. But for the first ten years or so we lived on just under $2us dollars (2) as that is all my wife earned at that time.

Rough and difficult time to be sure considering we had no aircon and she was already raising a niece and nephew at the time. But we stuck with it; laughed and cried together and made the best of things until my other retirement from the US kicked in.

Today we still have to be careful as we are now raising our four children. But it is the difficult times that we remember most. Not as difficult but as a time that brought us together and help us to build our marriage. They are times filled with good memories of times shared and places we went. We are only here on earth for a season. What's important is to look forward to each day as we age. Regret in coming here? No, no way. It has been the best part of my life and I would not change it. Like many others, I'll die here and that's okay. In the end we all die. It makes no difference where we die; but rather how we live and love and how we help and serve others along the way.

“No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. … All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable. … It is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire.” —Orson F. Whitney

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Nephi said:

But it is the difficult times that we remember most.

My wife and I were just talking about this yesterday, as she was remembering some of her childhood.  When her older sisters and brothers get together now, they love to reminisce about the how hard life was when growing up.  I guess it helps keep any current problems in perspective!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

That's interesting Mike that you feel that way. Without getting too personal, could you please tell us why you say that?

Not too personal at all Queenie.  I have witnessed quite a few Christians become so involved in trying to determine if these are "the end times" as described in scripture.  It really can become so consuming in their lives that they forget "that the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing."  And for me the main thing is the absolute knowledge that the mortality rate for humans is 100% and I should be living my life accordingly.  As a person of faith I believe that I need to be living life as if this could be my last day.  By that I mean to try and live the type of life that my savior would want me to live.  I know that I often fall short on any given day, but I believe that each year that goes by I am a little better person than the year before.  An interesting incident from my past.  I was leading a men's bible study about 10 years ago and the topic of "end times" came up.  Specifically, "are we living in the end times?"  I told the small group of men that these may not be "the end times" but they are certainly "my end times and yours, and yours, and yours . . ."  This was a Friday morning breakfast meeting.  That afternoon, one of the men was sitting in one of those folding deck chairs on his patio.  He had been sitting awhile and when he went to get up, his leg had fallen asleep and he fell.  He broke his hip and was taken to the hospital.  After surgery to fix the hip, he started to throw blots and suffered a stroke.  The doctors operated again and inserted a mesh screen to catch clots and he was moved to ICU.  While in ICU he contracted an infection that was very difficult to treat. In all he spent almost eight weeks in the hospital.  He did recover but spent the remaining years of his life in a wheelchair as the hip never did heal correctly.

I am not sure they are related to living here or just being retired now, but I do have some thoughts that are similar to yours?   What I notice is a general feeling of the body kind of slowing down and wearing out.  I wonder now if I should stop riding my scooter because my reflexes have slowed and I am not as alert as I used to be.  Bruises come more often and take longer to go away.  I cannot lift as much weight, I do not have nearly the stamina of just a few years ago.  I want to relax, read, watch the sunset, activities that require less energy.  Also pain comes more often with less strain and takes longer to go away.  In general I would say my "zest" for life is less now that it was several years ago.  That being said, I don't think it is because I live here now.  In fact I think it would be worse if I lived back in the USA.  Five back surgeries, kidney stones on multiple occasions, ulcers, gall bladder attacks, the stroke this year.  Over time my body has gotten kind of beaten up and I sometimes wonder if the decrease in function and enjoyment, coupled with the increase is problems is just natures way of getting us ready for old age and ultimately death.  I have a vivid memory of speaking to my mother when she was ill and her kidneys had shut down from a long term illness.  I had offered her one of mine and she said; "I don't think so, your mom is just tired out and ready to go."

So - this may not be, and hopefully is not, our last day.  But if it is . . . let us live it well, let us love each other and do what we can to lift up our fellow man.  Let us do good works, not because they will earn salvation, but because it is the RIGHT thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Not too personal at all Queenie.  I have witnessed quite a few Christians become so involved in trying to determine if these are "the end times" as described in scripture.  It really can become so consuming in their lives that they forget "that the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing."  And for me the main thing is the absolute knowledge that the mortality rate for humans is 100% and I should be living my life accordingly.  As a person of faith I believe that I need to be living life as if this could be my last day.  By that I mean to try and live the type of life that my savior would want me to live.  I know that I often fall short on any given day, but I believe that each year that goes by I am a little better person than the year before.  An interesting incident from my past.  I was leading a men's bible study about 10 years ago and the topic of "end times" came up.  Specifically, "are we living in the end times?"  I told the small group of men that these may not be "the end times" but they are certainly "my end times and yours, and yours, and yours . . ."  This was a Friday morning breakfast meeting.  That afternoon, one of the men was sitting in one of those folding deck chairs on his patio.  He had been sitting awhile and when he went to get up, his leg had fallen asleep and he fell.  He broke his hip and was taken to the hospital.  After surgery to fix the hip, he started to throw blots and suffered a stroke.  The doctors operated again and inserted a mesh screen to catch clots and he was moved to ICU.  While in ICU he contracted an infection that was very difficult to treat. In all he spent almost eight weeks in the hospital.  He did recover but spent the remaining years of his life in a wheelchair as the hip never did heal correctly.

I am not sure they are related to living here or just being retired now, but I do have some thoughts that are similar to yours?   What I notice is a general feeling of the body kind of slowing down and wearing out.  I wonder now if I should stop riding my scooter because my reflexes have slowed and I am not as alert as I used to be.  Bruises come more often and take longer to go away.  I cannot lift as much weight, I do not have nearly the stamina of just a few years ago.  I want to relax, read, watch the sunset, activities that require less energy.  Also pain comes more often with less strain and takes longer to go away.  In general I would say my "zest" for life is less now that it was several years ago.  That being said, I don't think it is because I live here now.  In fact I think it would be worse if I lived back in the USA.  Five back surgeries, kidney stones on multiple occasions, ulcers, gall bladder attacks, the stroke this year.  Over time my body has gotten kind of beaten up and I sometimes wonder if the decrease in function and enjoyment, coupled with the increase is problems is just natures way of getting us ready for old age and ultimately death.  I have a vivid memory of speaking to my mother when she was ill and her kidneys had shut down from a long term illness.  I had offered her one of mine and she said; "I don't think so, your mom is just tired out and ready to go."

So - this may not be, and hopefully is not, our last day.  But if it is . . . let us live it well, let us love each other and do what we can to lift up our fellow man.  Let us do good works, not because they will earn salvation, but because it is the RIGHT thing to do.

Great post Mike. The only time we fail is if or when we quit trying in life. I too feel that living here helps us to feel better and in turn live longer in most cases. The very fact that there is far less stress. Driving is another issue though. It really is a fool's game anywhere in country. Weather on a single motor, car, or anything else; it's the one you don't see that will get you. Riding a motor is the most dangerous form of transportation anywhere in the world. However, adding a side-car eliminates the need for balance and if "running lights" are added will increase visibility of your unit especially at night. I drove buses and 18 wheelers for years but like you, I realize that at 65yrs old my see, recognise, and react time is slowing down even if it doesn't seem so. I find that increasing my following distance at any given speed and remembering to keep the eyes moving as well as checking mirrors is the best thing.

Our changing and declining health as we age is something that we are expected to pass through and experience. It too is a great teacher and refiner. Remember, the knowledge and things learned here, we take with us.

Though we may feel we are “like a broken vessel,” as the Psalmist says, we must remember, that vessel is in the hands of the divine potter. Broken minds can be healed just the way broken bones and broken hearts are healed. While God is at work making those repairs, the rest of us can help by being merciful, nonjudgmental, and kind." ~ Jeffrey R. Holland

Castaway
Posted
Posted

When Will the World End? New Theory Emerges

Time Is Ticking

If our planet's 12-billion-year lifespan was reduced to 12 hours, the end would be coming at high noon.

It's only 4:30 a.m. in Earth's "day in the sun" but by 5 a.m. the 1 billion-year reign of plants and animals will come to an end. By 8 a.m. the oceans will vaporize.

By noon it will all be over, about 7.5 billion years down the road.

It's not a pretty story but "Mother Nature wasn't designed to make us happy."

The sun will be about the size of the Earth at that point, and at the end of its evolution, it will slowly cool and darken to forever disappear from the view of our galactic neighbors.

"This dark cinder and the even darker outer planets that have not been swallowed up by the sun during its expanding stage, are all that will remain of our solar system."

And our brief moment in the sun, so to speak, will be over.

For more information:  

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97756&page=1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

Well I guess we can say this prediction came true. For Steve, after calling his wife "fat". :whistling::hystery:

I did not call her fat, i said i dont want a fat wife and if she carries on eating crap well , we shall see, but look i am still here, yes a little shy perhaps with the wife , but its a good job she is doing a double shift today.time to reflex maybe,plus whats it going to cost me too.

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Castaway said:

It's not a pretty story but "Mother Nature wasn't designed to make us happy."

thinking man.jpg Well she has done a Good for me and I will now go and Finish  my day with a couple of beer sori sori.jpg and if it all happens then i got something right for once.

BTW Steve the Phrase you were looking for is But Honey, you are my Pleasantly Plump Wife to which my Wife would say no babe, my clothes have Shrunk :smile:

• Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/17/2017 at 6:39 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Time to party? :7500:

The world may end later this month, predictions say

Doomsday may be here soon than expected, if you believe the conspiracy theorists claiming that the Earth is due to collide with another planet later this month.

Bible passages apparently supporting the centuries' old prediction of the end of the world on September 23 of this year has intrigued many around the globe, The Sun reports.

Christian numerologist David Meade says verses in Luke 21:25 to 26 tell us that recent events, such as the recent solar eclipse seen by the US and Hurricane Harvey, are signs of the apocalypse.

"25: There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken," the passage says.

"26: Men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken."

The September 23 date was pinpointed using codes from the Bible, as well as a "date marker" in the pyramids of Giza in Egypt.

Meade's theory, which most people view through a widely skeptical lens, says that the so-called Planet X, also known as Nibiru, will pass Earth on September 23, causing volcanic eruptions, tsunamis and earthquakes, The Sun reports.

But NASA has dismissed the claims, insisting the Planet X theory is merely a hoax

This theory of when the apocalypse will occur was first mentioned in 1976 by author Zecharia Sitchin in his book The 12th Planet.

He believed the planet is home to ancient aliens called the Annunaki who he claimed created the human race. 

The 2000-year-old prophecy was first described in the book of Revelations.

Meade wrote a book called Planet X – The 2017 Arrival - insisting Nibiru would crash into Earth in October, but then moved it forward by a few weeks.

His theory was given a boost this year when NASA discovered a new planet in the solar system, which they named Planet Nine.

Meade has been quoted previously saying: "It is very strange indeed that both the Great Sign of Revelation 12 and the Great Pyramid of Giza both point us to one precise moment in time – September 20 to 23, 2017."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/37118746/the-world-may-an-end-sooner-than-you-expect-predictions-say/

Nevermind, he says.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/22/man-who-predicted-world-will-end-on-sept-23-says-nevermind/

• Like 1