Pets in the Philippines--do you have any?

roddavis
Posted
Posted

Here is the litters had in the previous year.

DSCF0224.jpgBud.jpg

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

Of course!  Blackie!  Our eldest daughter  named him when we got him as a street kitten in Laguna, the day before we moved to Subic.

P1150631.JPG

So cute! That's our neighbors' dog's name too!    Their other dog was named Tiger like our Tiger!:smile:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, roddavis said:

Here is the litters had in the previous year.

DSCF0224.jpgBud.jpg

Wow Rod--just adorable!  The mix in breeds makes for such groovy spots and markings! Flop down ears like our Popeye!

• Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, MikeB said:

Good for you! We rescued several kittens and dogs from certain death. The most pathetic of all was a blind, starving orange cat that was maybe 4 months old. She was “living” in a ditch across the street and wandering in front of tricycles, not long for this world. But my wife brought her home, fed and cared for her. We tried to get her spayed at about 6 months but the vet wouldn’t do it because she was still too weak. He didn't think she would survive the operation. She became impregnated and had 2 healthy kittens, turned out to be a great mother. When we left we brought a dog (bought not rescued) and a cat to the US. Gave another to the helper and took the rest to the wife’s family. They are still doing ok, she sends money periodically for food and vet visits. Seeing all the abandoned puppies and kittens bothered me a lot. I kept telling my wife that sometimes you have to look the other way but she never could.

MikeB-- seems like you and your wife have big hearts for a lot of animals!:smile:

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I love dogs, but only small ones but have not had one for many years (since divorce) no pun meant there!.

Now we have a home would love to get one, but regrettably, no yard or fencing at back allowed as it is a walkway.

So I am thinking it would not be fair on a dog to have no exercise area.  Not a cat person.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I love dogs, but only small ones but have not had one for many years (since divorce) no pun meant there!.

Now we have a home would love to get one, but regrettably, no yard or fencing at back allowed as it is a walkway.

So I am thinking it would not be fair on a dog to have no exercise area.  Not a cat person.

Mogo--maybe if you walked the dog off and on during the day it would be fine. A small dog doesn't need as much exercise either.:smile:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

So cute! That's our neighbors' dog's name too!    Their other dog was named Tiger like our Tiger!:smile:

I have posted before about Blackie.  I was never a cat person either;  kinda neutral on them.  I almost did not let my daughter get him, but we were moving away from all of her friends and I thought it would be good for her to have a buddy.

He is a great cat, although very lazy in his recent years.  My baby can grab him and pull his tail, but he tolerates it.  He acts like a dog and he goes on all our walks with us.  He gets excited when he knows we will walk and he runs and jumps up trees.

20170907_174435.jpg 20170907_174601.jpg

Here is an old video of him when he was young and frisky!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K5zyljbdfHbR6EAl2

• Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

We inherited two mongrel outdoor dogs, a mother and son when we arrived here. They were very scrawny and not very socialized, but over time they've gotten much bigger and healthier, and have gotten to be sweet pals, named Tiger and Cutie.  Tiger's tail and back leg foot pad had been torn by a motorcycle mishap before we lived here, so other than for balance, it's not much help to him.  That hasn't stopped him though--  he is super athletic, and and can run and climb with abandon! A super sweet guy. that really does looks like an orange striped tiger! Cutie is sweet but  sometimes stubborn, more aloof and"catlike" at times.20170916_160604.jpg20160915_070154.jpg20160921_125947.jpg We recently got a new neighborhood puppy that we named Popeye, (above) and he was neutered recently. He has been a joy to have around, and has livened up the lives of the other two older dogs too.

I'd hoped at one point to acquire a parrot or some other myna type bird that we could train and be able to keep around the yard without a cage, but that hasn't happened. :smile: A domesticated lizard--iguana or chameleon might be a fun pet to have also I'd think, although I've no experience with any of those.

I was always a cat person, and had never owned a dog in the past, so this is a new experience for us. Maybe all the assorted wildlife here in the yard is enough to have besides the dogs.  Dogs/pets are a big responsibility though, but pay back in their love and companionship. Being the often precarious place that the Philippines can be at times. we strive not to become too attached to them, but that isn't easy to do.

Do many of you have pets that you've acquired over time here?  If so are they the common variety? Any exotic pets?  Please share any pet experiences that you've had so far.

Queenie

We don`t have pets but the Landlords dog visits us for food now and again.My LL passed away a few months and I don`t think the caretakers are taking very good care of the dog.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

SonJack, maybe you should ask to have the dog. He's already partly yours because you've cared for him:smile:

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I have posted before about Blackie.  I was never a cat person either;  kinda neutral on them.  I almost did not let my daughter get him, but we were moving away from all of her friends and I thought it would be good for her to have a buddy.

He is a great cat, although very lazy in his recent years.  My baby can grab him and pull his tail, but he tolerates it.  He acts like a dog and he goes on all our walks with us.  He gets excited when he knows we will walk and he runs and jumps up trees.

20170907_174435.jpg 20170907_174601.jpg

Here is an old video of him when he was young and frisky!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K5zyljbdfHbR6EAl2

That's funny! That cat was a "keeper" for sure! Tolerant and mellow with your little ones too.