Dating Abroad

Notright
Posted
Posted

Hi there I'm a gay expat living in the Philippines and I was wondering if there are any websites pertaining to us or just information resources? 

Thanks 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum.

To my recollection, no one has mentioned any sites that pertain to gays specifically.  Best of luck with your search.

Notright
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well this one showed up on my facebook 

Thanks anyway

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Do not put links in the post as you are a new member

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I don't know of any Gay Men type forums in regards to Philippines but you would be very welcome here we have Gay members.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Google is your friend. I've a few gay friends and regularly have seen a few ex pats and Filipino a out and about with their gay friends. I'm sure you'll have no problems over here. Best of luck. 

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Notright said:

Hi there I'm a gay expat living in the Philippines and I was wondering if there are any websites pertaining to us or just information resources? 

Thanks 

Hi Notright, welcome to the group, I and others hope you enjoy and gain knowledge from this site, contribute also. What others have said is true with regards to gay expat sites in the Philippines, zilch from my research. Gay groups in PH are rare and frequently fall over if some one has the time and inclination to create/start one as we did, (another interesting story) there is a different mode of thought in PH. I call it apathy, others use different explanations/excuses.

Regardless I doubt you would find something as specific as your enquiry given the fact that homosexuality is illegal in this country but widely practiced and also very well accepted by Filipino people and obviously the members on this forum. We are a minority group as you well know and from experience most local gay expats keep their head down and avoid scandals as they are referred to in PH.

This is a great site with giving and patient experience offered up freely by members who wish to contribute and also learn, ask your questions and enjoy. As for information resources from our (Bengie and my) experience is there but very limited unless you talk to the editor of one of the local magazines and he is the one that that advised "sad uninterested attitude" "clique" "Happy to live life in a closet or totally opposite within the confines of their community" etc. Unless you offer free beer or a chance to win a holiday, a free ride wears off after a while. 

Good luck in your search mate.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum NotRight,

As an American expat woman, I'm also at a disadvantage when it comes to finding other foreigner woman here for acquaintance or friendship. Back in the eighties when I was in the US Peace Corps here, I had many fellow gay American friends also assigned to the Philippines. Many had Filipino boyfriends that they had met over time here too.

I've not seen any websites specific to gay expats here either.  This is a friendly,  and tolerant forum though, and the closest I've come to making foreigner/expat friends so far while living here. We all share many commonalities, hopes, frustrations and experiences, and it has helped me feel less lonely at times.:smile:

Feel free to post about what you want to discuss, and anything that might concern or interest you,  I'm sure that you'll have an audience here.

I hope that you find a gay centered website in the future, but until then, here is a good place to start.:smile:

Queenie

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum.  I would offer the same advice that the forum usually gives to men looking for a female partner, there is no substitute for "boots on the ground".    The challenge in using web sites is that either party may not be honest or forthright and there are people here who make a living by convincing people to send them money for a wide variety of "emergencies".  So my recommendation is do some research on Philippine culture and then come over for a vacation to see if you  like the Philippines and maybe you will meet Mr. Right. 

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Welcome to the forum NotRight,

As an American expat woman, I'm also at a disadvantage when it comes to finding other foreigner woman here for acquaintance or friendship. Back in the eighties when I was in the US Peace Corps here, I had many fellow gay American friends also assigned to the Philippines. Many had Filipino boyfriends that they had met over time here too.

I've not seen any websites specific to gay expats here either.  This is a friendly,  and tolerant forum though, and the closest I've come to making foreigner/expat friends so far while living here. We all share many commonalities, hopes, frustrations and experiences, and it has helped me feel less lonely at times.:smile:

Feel free to post about what you want to discuss, and anything that might concern or interest you,  I'm sure that you'll have an audience here.

I hope that you find a gay centered website in the future, but until then, here is a good place to start.:smile:

Queenie

Hugs Queenie, same sentiments with regards to communique with compatriots in our chosen area within PH. In 6 years traveling back and forward and also living in Manila for a year, our chosen place at the time, I have only met one or two western/Filipino gay couples, come to think of it apart from them I have only met 2 or 3 heterosexual couples in that time, I am not a bar/club guy nor is Bengie and we relate more to what is happening locally and family and our choice to live in a great country with its ups and downs absolutely no different to any other part of the world.

Never feel alienated, get out there and enjoy, plenty of opportunities to prosper and grow. Again thanks Queenie for another overlooked perspective.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

The OP stated he is living in PH. Perhaps yes or no but we can only assume "the boots are on the ground" and Notright is seeking advice for his particular enquiry related to this site showing up on his FB site. Was it me or another member or 10 that is also using FB? We all know how clever FB is as well as other social media sites are. While I or a thousand other members never mentioned this site within our everyday social media sites the links are made and as we all know the junk, rubbish, phishing and other forms of private invasion are now part of our lives.

Wish it were different but while a buck can be made on the internet we will be bombarded with rubbish and links no matter how we block/filter, I personally think that perhaps good has come from Notright's find on FB as it has opened peoples minds to different situations, Queenie's being very pertinent and oft times overlooked.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1