Forgive and Forget

Jake
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, stevewool said:

So much so that they will ask you again when they have another "can't miss" opportunity.

I have no money for any investments that i will not see a very very quick return, like i have said i have enough to last us both for our future, aslong as i can smile at them and just keep saying a big fat no .

We shall see who will be asking next, i have a feeling i may know????

Remember the British stiff upper lip?  I thought all along that Emma was your first line of defense/offense?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I'm very thankful that I don't have to deal with this type of situation like you, Steve. My wife's family aren't "askers" and those that have asked she brought up short long ago.

But she was making noises concerning going into a second printing business with her brother a few months back. He is running the family business at one outlet but they wanted to open a second shop.

I said, "Let me read his business plan." 

"Honey, that's not how it's done here."

"Well, at least let me see his inventory list."

*silence*

I don't have anything at all against the brother. He seems to be holding his own and providing for his wife and two children. He's a good guy in my book, for that. But I have a limited amount of money and cannot risk any of it on a business without a solid base. As we know, even well-planned businesses go belly-up at alarming rates.

Kudos for standing your ground.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jake said:

Remember the British stiff upper lip?  I thought all along that Emma was your first line of defense/offense?  

She is the go between when her sisters ask her for monies, her answer is always " i will ask Steve as its a joint account", so really she in the defense but they seem to get through that not as quick as before though.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

But I have a limited amount of money and cannot risk any of it .

This says it all for many of us.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I will help those who try to help themselves but as you say Ron parasites can go forth an multiply.

exactly Kev, if Steve ever   does make here to Phils, he will quickly wise and toughen up.  If he doesn't he will be in for a difficult time.  It will be a steep learning curve for him.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know my wife can be very generous when taking a trip back home.

She is very concerned right now about  her once nanny, the lady requires serious medical treatment.

She will, I'm sure , help take the strain of the financial burden off the family. I don't object to those sort of situations,

but I can't understand the need for expensive items to be handed out, when next week could bring another emergency.

I make no demands on my wife's earnings, but I struggle with the  materialistic attitudes of some people.

I have gone without many times in my life and made no demands on others to bail me out, maybe that's why I have learnt

to live according to my means and help others, if I can, in genuine need.

Family is family but some people won't get off their backside and help themselves.

This subject has just reminded me of some of the tricks that have been played on me, I was hoping to forget!

Edited by Kuya John
correction
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, JDDavao said:

said, "Let me read his business plan." 

"Honey, that's not how it's done here."

Good one JD, that would have started some head scratching me thinks.

bows00
Posted
Posted

My 2nd most important money rule is... "Don't mix money with important relationships".  Especially borrowing money from relatives.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Kuya John said:

I know my wife can be very generous when taking a trip back home.

She is very concerned right now about  her once nanny, the lady requires serious medical treatment.

She will, I'm sure , help take the strain of the financial burden off the family. I don't object to those sort of situations,

but I can't understand the need for expensive items to be handed out, when next week could bring another emergency.

I make no demands on my wife's earnings, but I struggle with the  materialistic attitudes of some people.

I have gone without many times in my life and made no demands on others to bail me out, maybe that's why I have learnt

to live according to my means and help others, if I can, in genuine need.

Family is family but some people won't get off their backside and help themselves.

This subject has just reminded me of some of the tricks that have been played on me, I was hoping to forget!

I am sure many of us have been used at some time in our lives , and just like you i do try to put it at the back of my mind, it is trying to learn from some of the horrors , 

• Like 2