Race and Class in the Philippines

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

In da States wealth and power provides a special class not unlike in Philippines 🇵🇭 or most other countries throughout the world. This is very common anyplace you go.

Skin tone also is a class factor not only in Philippines but all Asian countries. This stupid view is slowly changing thankfully. It’s still a factor for a small number of dimwitted Americans even today. 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Old55 said:

In da States wealth and power provides a special class not unlike in Philippines 🇵🇭 or most other countries throughout the world. This is very common anyplace you go.

Skin tone also is a class factor not only in Philippines but all Asian countries. This stupid view is slowly changing thankfully. It’s still a factor for a small number of dimwitted Americans even today. 

Unfortunately Dan, I'm beginning to feel a little paranoid here is SoCal.  Judy and I now have our passports in our car.  Just in case we get pulled over, we can readily show our status.  

It is.....what it is -- the new normal.  

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Old55 said:

Skin tone also is a class factor

Yes but I understand that more now that I have read this topic.  I thought the young people were trying to get white to be like the movie stars on TV but now I understand the concept goes back to Spanish occupation when you had to prove Spanish blood to be high class.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Jake said:

Unfortunately Dan, I'm beginning to feel a little paranoid here is SoCal.  Judy and I now have our passports in our car.  Just in case we get pulled over, we can readily show our status.  

It is.....what it is -- the new normal.  

The new normal exactly Jake.

Sadly it is the way of the world today, people judge other people by the colour of their skin, their dress, or belief's.

In the 60's/ 70's we had songs about a "big melting pot, bigger enough to take the world and all it's got."

Utopia was just around the corner, "all you need is love"...........what the hell went wrong.

(How bad are things here in UK well just read this the morning ).... Teen held over 'life-threatening' acid attack A teenage boy has been arrested after an acid attack which left a delivery driver in a life-threatening condition and likely to lose sight in both eyes. Attempted to steal victim's moped »

Sorry for digressing from OP...happy Saturday

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Eldon Cordrey
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Would you say that President Marcos Duterte is trying to bring about a western style democratic Republic?  That is what I thought when he was elected but now I am not sure.

President Duterte is Planning to bring in a Federal system of States Here in the Philippines.  This is connected with the Bangsamoro deal the Government made with the Muslims.   I think it will be more like the system in Malaysia than a western style.  In Malaysia they have a Federal System that still has a Monarchy.   This seems to make the Muslims happy.  Muslim laws in Muslim areas.  Christian Laws in Christian areas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eldon Cordrey
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, JDDavao said:

All I think I can add with any seriousness is that  I am an absolute freak when it comes to encouraging my Muslim nieces to expand their minds and to encourage them as much as possible in their endeavors. What's the saying? We can't do everything but we can do something?

The cultural trait of women or girls not going out by themselves comes from the Muslims.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Eldon Cordrey said:

The cultural trait of women or girls not going out by themselves comes from the Muslims.

I disagree with that. There are many, many accomplished Muslim women in the world. I find that most women in the Philippines, outside of the internationally influenced NCR, hold back, regardless of their religion.

• Like 1

Eldon Cordrey
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

I disagree with that. There are many, many accomplished Muslim women in the world. I find that most women in the Philippines, outside of the internationally influenced NCR, hold back, regardless of their religion.

My Statement really has no direct connection to yours.  Could you share more what you are talking about and if you want give us some history about The former Mayor of Davao?   Please keep in mind this is the Philippines we don't have as much freedom to criticize the government.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Deleted reference to Trump. Please let us keep it on topic. US politics is not the subject.

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
On 11/04/2017 at 6:17 PM, Eldon Cordrey said:

With respect I think it was also a Spanish custom that well-bred girls did not go out unless accompanied their duenna.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

With respect I think it was also a Spanish custom that well-bred girls did not go out unless accompanied their duenna.

Spain was muslim for about 900 years

• Thanks 1