Predominantly in Automatic vehicles?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Ok G & G's, before I make a fool of myself elsewhere :whistling: Who the hell here uses their left foot to Brake?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I managed a bus fleet before I retired and we also had licensed driver trainers for both cars and heavy vehicles.

The instructors always made a point of saying during the training that it was bad practice to use your other foot for braking.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Who the hell here uses their left foot to Brake?

Not me,  Except in those vehicles with automatic transmissions where the idle is set too fast, (usually done to compensate for the drag of the air conditioner).  If I need to inch up to a wall or another vehicle I have to keep the left foot hovering on the brake.  Could be just my vehicle though.  I have to touch the gas to get it to move and it moves fast!  If the engine is warmed up and I remember to turn off the a/c then I can do it all with my right foot.  Unfortunately my driveway is short so I have to get an inch away from the wall to shut the gate.  That's why I do all this messing about.

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The instructors always made a point of saying during the training that it was bad practice to use your other foot for braking.

It can be very dangerous which is why I am asking.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not me,  Except in those vehicles with automatic transmissions where the idle is set too fast, (usually done to compensate for the drag of the air conditioner).  If I need to inch up to a wall or another vehicle I have to keep the left foot hovering on the brake.  Could be just my vehicle though.  I have to touch the gas to get it to move and it moves fast!  If the engine is warmed up and I remember to turn off the a/c then I can do it all with my right foot.  Unfortunately my driveway is short so I have to get an inch away from the wall to shut the gate.  That's why I do all this messing about.

I can understand this but I mean under Normal circumstances?

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Hmm. I just answered this on Top Gear PH. 

I had such a run of clunkers when I was young (probably 5 or more) that I got used to having to brake with my left foot, shift into neutral, and goose the gas with my right just to keep the engine running. 

That's how I drive now. I'm so used to it that I don't confuse my braking foot with my acceleration foot. I've ruined myself for ever learning a standard trans, though. 

• I'm Confused 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

under Normal circumstances?

Correct.  Under normal circumstances it is not a wise practice.  (I just put all the extra explanation so ya don't give me a hard time when you ride with me one day and see me brake with my left foot :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: )

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just now, JDDavao said:

a standard trans

Ah that's the way to go.  I much prefer a standard, but when buying a used car on a budget ya takes whatever deal comes along.

• Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The few times I have driven an automatic I always tuck my left leg behind my right.I do this as otherwise I would be putting my foot on the brake to change gear and as you know you dont change gear in an automatic.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have heard of it being done, but I have not. I was trained not to use the left foot for braking and never did.  I can drive a standard or automatic... but since this is not the 1950s I see no reason to get a standard ha ha. 

• Like 2