Please help me find a city to live near

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, boyee said:

Maybe someone can comment if this is a realistic cost.

For what you want it is a very realistic cost.  If you wanted to go a lot cheaper then that is realistic too.  People tend to build to the limit of what they can afford, but as Jack Peterson said earlier it will be hard to sell if you change your mind.

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Like a few posts said, it's hard to sell property over there. My advice, buy a little cheaper or rent, then invest what's left over, back home. Many a sad foreigner has gone back home broke because they couldn't handle the heat, health issues, cultural differences, stench, and many more issues that annoy a person when you start feeling down and out. Your medical people, weigh up the odds before making a financial commitment. Good luck.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, boyee said:

In terms of being 20 min from city I guess that is a bit convenient.  Willing to stretch that to 45 min if doable.  

Initially you said large city so that limits you to a few.  Define your expectation of a city to be near.

You might take a look a the coastline of Zambales.  There are some nice beach or mountain properties north (Iba area)  and south (Morong area) of Subic Bay that might suit you, with an easy drive to Subic Bay Freeport and the decent shopping there.  Search Property for sale in Zambales on OLX to get some ideas.

I see a daughter in your profile pic.  Are schools important?

• Like 4

boyee
Posted
Posted

Hi, thanks for replying.  Starting smaller, then upgrading later has always been sound advise.  We will modify that.  I think the heat will be our biggest obstacle.  I grew up on a beach in Hawaii so perhaps my view of a tropical paradise is obscured by the perfect weather of my childhood memories.  I once spent three weeks in Pasig Manila during Oct and I literally could not walk down the street do to the heat.  Running from the air con house to the air con car then to the air con mall was what I remember most.  I remember the province being tolerable or at least doable in terms of heat.  But way cooler than Manila.   I should define large city.  Good medical services, necessary supplies, maybe a decent mall. That's all we need.  thank you onmyway, you're right I don't even think we want a large city, just don't want to be isolated.  The pic is a little old, sorry couldn't help it.  Offspring should be in college when we move so school is not an issue.  Man, I think I learn something new with every response.  I had no idea there were so many foreigners in the pi.  I swear I spent a month in Pasig and literally saw One white guy.  I was so excited I ran over to introduce my self, although I had to convince him I wasn't Filipino.  My wife and I are covered in tattoo's now so I don't think the locals will make that mistake anymore.  ha ha

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, boyee said:

My wife and I are covered in tattoo's now so I don't think the locals will make that mistake anymore.

Yeah that's a filipino thing these days.  So many of the filipinos have tattoos all over that you will still look like a local :hystery: but that's not a bad thing as they might not try the "white nose tax" on you.

Agreed that big cities are concrete jungles of heat.  Interesting that closer to the equator, in Dumaguete area, the climate is more moderate than up north in Cebu or Manila.

• Like 2

boyee
Posted
Posted

Are you serious?  The last time I was there every one thought I was local.  But when I wore a tank top and exposed a small shoulder tattoo locals crossed the street.  My wife's family told me only Filipino gansters have tats.  I never saw anyone with tattoos in the city.  That was 6 years ago so a lot must of changed.  It's funny I would go to the flea market and buy super cheep clothes to blend in because the in laws were always so worried about me walking around by my self.   I tried my best to blend in but every where I  went people could just tell I wasn't local.  Maybe the way I walk or the way I looked into peoples eyes on the street.  Everyone starred but no one looked at me if you know what I mean.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, boyee said:

I never saw anyone with tattoos in the city.

I can only say that around Dumaguete and Sibulan I see lots of young to middle aged locals with lots of tattoos.  It has become very fashionable here in the last couple of years.  Are they all gangsters?  I don't think so.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I can only say that around Dumaguete and Sibulan I see lots of young to middle aged locals with lots of tattoos.  It has become very fashionable here in the last couple of years.  Are they all gangsters?  I don't think so.

Same here in Subic.  I think it is the result of the Western tattoo culture spreading faster over here because of social media, etc.  There are many tattoo parlors and there was a small tattoo "convention" held at SM Olongapo a year or two ago.

• Like 1

boyee
Posted
Posted

Mike B.  Sounds like solid advise.  I work as an MRI Tech in San Francisco.  When I retire I could find traveling Positions.  They are usually 2 month assignments and pay for lodging.  I could do that during the summer to avoid the heat.  If  I did that twice per year then it's like working part time.   Keeping a low profile with financial means will be a must.  I figured on this forum It was okay but certainly don't want to paint a big target on my back around those whom have had less advantages in life.  I have been watching this Vlog called "my PI dream".  An american who builds a house near Lipa.  His house is built in a gated community.  Can anyone tell me if that is a must for security purposes?

Bo

• Like 1