The ugly embarrassing foreigner

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeB said:

Was I wrong to say anything?

1 hour ago, MikeB said:

Since the staff are friends and there was a child involved, imo, no. If these jerks had gone too far out of line they wouldn't be the first ones to learn a hard lesson about pushing the locals too far.

Was this an adult drinking bar or a family friendly place?

The fact the he was dragging his kid along while on a binge is what really gets my hackles up.  In the U.S if I witnessed that I would call the police and have him arrested for several things including child endangerment.

You were right to say something but if the kid was not there, I probably would have let it go unless it effected me or my group.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Was this an adult drinking bar or a family friendly place?

It's a resturaunt. Family

Shaka-Hawaiian-Restaurant.jpgshaka 2.jpgshaka 3.jpgshaka 4.jpgshaka 1.jpg

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Two questions I must ask is, where was the Mother? and secondly the staff should of refused them drinks/ or called the police.

I have seen the guy with the child several times but never seen the mother. Perhaps she was working, who knows but he certainly wasn't in a position to be taking care of him. As for refusing service I have yet to see that in the Philippines other than one time where another foreigner was removed from a night club. Calling the police I think would be worthless as most likely they would not attend.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

You did right and said something, its hard at first to say something because then it may turn into something nasty and name calling and suddenly you have to face the idiots or walk out yourself, its always better if there are a few who all agree to say something .

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

You did the right thing Tom. There is no good way to deal with drunks acting badly. 

The restaurant management would be reluctant to 86 two regulars for being drunk and stupid.... because they had money.

My real concern was for the child's safety and welfare as you pointed out. The time I visited that place with friends it was family friendly and laid back. We found the food  good and service above average. 

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Yes, I agree you did the right thing JGF, it would have been sad if he tried to clobber you, but I suppose like you said, he was past that stage. I have been in that situation too , but being of age now, the wife can generally see if I'm getting upset and she intervenes by talking to Filipinos in charge of the venue and on more than one occasion, we've had swift results. There's plenty of them blokes out there, but the Filipino people generally don't judge all Westerners by their countrymans bad behaviour.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Calling the police I think would be worthless as most likely they would not attend.

I had previously mentioned:

15 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know a couple (of friends) who are as tough drunk as they are sober and when drunk

One of those incidents was in "metro Cebu" some years back and the friend who was causing problems required 3 security guards to hold him down.  Then what?  They could not hold him on the ground forever and he was not calming down.  So the restaurant called the police (this restaurant was an adult oriented resto-bar but not exclusively so.) The police came fast when the restaurant called them.  Maybe 10 minutes.  But they did not want to arrest the foreigner because the restaurant did not want the bad publicity. So they called his 98 pound wife to come down and take him home.  The cops sat with him until she arrived.  Funny how a slip of a girl can handle a bull of a man.  End of story.  Point is the cops will come if the right people call them, but the restaurants do not like to call them.  I am assuming that is because it is bad for business to have the cops show up.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Point is the cops will come if the right people call them, but the restaurants do not like to call them.  I am assuming that is because it is bad for business to have the cops show up.

As an ex- Pub owner in the UK and still a  Bar Partner in Spain I will agree with this It can deter Good Clients and attract those that like problem Bars and there a few (of Both) :smile:

Jack:mellow:

Morning All:photo-109: (Hey Ho another week  good morning world.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1