Fastest way to ACR-I card

Coolcalm
Posted
Posted

Hello fellow expats. I’m new here. 

I wanted to get some experiences around a very specific question.

I will be staying in the Philippines for 8-10 months. I am aware of the extension process but can’t find info on my specific questions. What I’m trying to figure out is if it’s better for me in my situation to get the 59 day visa here in Los Angeles before I leave. The reason I ask is because I read that in order to get an ACR-I card (helps with bank accounts) I need 2 visits to the immigration bureau. Does that mean that if I get my 59 day visa here in US before I leave, that I will then have to visit the IB in Philippines 2 more times before I can get the ACR card? If so, that would mean I would have to buy a total of 3 flight outbound tickets? This means it would maybe take longer to get the ACR card? Does the visit to the Philippines Embassy here count as a visit?

The other option is I apply for the 38 day (59days total) extension after I arrive. Then after that apply for the 2 or 6 month and ACR card. Would that get me the ACR card faster? As in 2 visits and two outbound flight confirmations instead of 3? I know it’s more expensive in PH for the 59 days but I’m willing to pay if it’s faster to the ACR-I card.

I hope this makes sense and someone has experience and recommendation on best option.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have never been asked for an outbound flight at the visa extension office.I have only ever been asked for the flight details when trying to get in the country/leaving the country of departure.If you come here get a entry/visa stamp at the airport then do an extension after 3 weeks then when that is about to expire go to do an extension and they will apply for an ACR card for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coolcalm
Posted
Posted

Thanks sonjack that makes sense. So if I where to get the 59 day here in the states beforehand, it would take me longer in days once I arrive to get the ACR card, correct? Since it requires 2 visits. 

Im guessing the cost savings of getting the 59 day here doesn’t out weigh the benefits of doing it in Manila.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The only outbound flight requirement is when you arrive in the Philippines.  You will have an automatic 30 day visa free stay stamped in your passport on arrival.  This can then be extended to 59 days, no requirement to exit the Philippines.  You can continue to extend you stay in increments of up to six months at a time.  Each extension will require a visit to Immigration but does NOT require you to exit the country.  During the extension process you will apply for the ACR card in conjunction with the extension.

• Like 2

Coolcalm
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike. Good to know I don’t need to provide outbound ticket during extension process. I know they want it for entry. I will purchase an exit ticket that shows departure within 21 days. I’ve been to Philippines several times but never longer than 30days. 

Im still trying to clarify if there is any benefit or negative to doing the 59 day visa here at the Los Angeles PH embassy ahead of time? Wouldn’t that put me at a disadvantage since my two visits would take around 90 days? 1 at 45-50 days and another at 75-80 days. Versus doing the initial extension in Manila the 2 IB visits would be closer to 60 days done and I would have The ACR visit requirement much quicker.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coolcalm said:

Thanks Mike. Good to know I don’t need to provide outbound ticket during extension process. I know they want it for entry. I will purchase an exit ticket that shows departure within 21 days. I’ve been to Philippines several times but never longer than 30days. 

Hi Mate and welcome.

I've never been asked for my return ticket by a Philippine immigration official.  I have however been asked for a return ticket by airline officials in the past before boarding my flight that lands in The Philippines, but not for some years now but I'd still err on the side of caution and buy a "throwaway".  I think it has something to do with the airline having to wear the cost of deportation if they allow you to board without an exit ticket, but I could be wrong.  The requirement was never a return ticket in any case, it was a ticket proving I was leaving The Philippines so you can purchase a ticket to somewhere cheaper than back to the US (the previously mentioned "throwaway").

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Instead of explaining where your 'facts' are off, maybe it is easier to explain what I did on my last entry.

In April 2017 I had a return ticket in May which I canceled after checking in at the departure gate in the US (but before takeoff and received a full refund from Expedia).

On arrival in Manila I asked the immigration officer for a 59 day Visa BEFORE I handed over my passport. I was sent to the office and had the 59 day in about 20 minutes. I went to the Dumaguete BI office 14 days before expiration and applied for a 6 month extension and ACR card. I received my passport back in a week and the card was available in 2 weeks. I have not gone back again yet as my extension does not expire until December. (ACR card is required for a stay over 6 months so had to be issued with the 6 month extension)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I got asked at BKK airport when we were coming here.  In fact they have asked me virtually every time  I am going anywhere except Australia, also KL same a few years ago.  Same going to Vietnam earlier this year.  I bought a $40 ticket to HK when coming here.

• Thanks 1

Howard
Posted
Posted

I would get the 59 day visa in LA if you can get that, it will save you at least one trip to BI! One thing I want to make you aware of is the ACR card that you get issued is a TOURIST ACR card. I found it to be quite useless as far as opening a bank account and things like that at any major bank in the Philippines, I also couldn't use it to get a drivers license. It wasn't until I got a permanent resident ACR card that banks would even consider opening an account for me. I've talked to others who said they had a different experience but my guess is maybe they got an account at one of those local Barangay banks like my wife used to use(Royal bank of montalban or something like that where I wouldn't put my money!). I hope it works out for you! 

• Thanks 1

Coolcalm
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all. Yeah I’ve been reading about the tourist ACR card and agree it may not do me much good, but worth a try. I’m going go to the ph embassy here before I leave to do the 59 day. I think it’s a PH holiday when land in Manila.

• Like 1