Stroke Victim

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Dear Forum Members

I am looking for your valuable feedback and advice on behalf of a friend of mine. As you may know I work in the UAE and one of my ex-pat friends here recently had a stroke. This friend is married to a Filipna and has a house in Pagasinan. His company have now stated he must go home as he has had the 3 months off sick and can't return to work. He can't go back to UK as he can't get his wife a visa without savings and a job so the company will send him to the Philippines.

the advice i seek is basically 3 fold:

1. Can he get Therapy in Pangasinan? He is physically okay now but he has trouble remembering and speaking.
  2. Can he claim any benefits from UK whilst in Philippines as he contributed to National Insurance for 23 years?
  3. As he will have no income should he go to the UK to seek what support he can (maybe i will go with him to support if his wife can't) and then return to the Philippines?

It is tragic as I really do not think he will be well enough to work again and at 52 years of age I am not sure he can get his UK pension.

I believe all this moving will happen in the next couple of weeks so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Jack

Thank you for answering and for giving it as it is. I did think as much. I guess it will now be a matter of "Lets see hoe it goes". At least I know he prefers to be in the Philippines the UK so this should help him be calm.

He does have a sister in the UK who has been helping clear things here in the UAE but I don't think he wants to be a burden on her when he is married already.

I will continue to look at ways to help him if I can.

Thanks again and I am glad you recovered well as it also gives me hope for him.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

One question about his employer: Was that an UAE company, an UK company or other countries company? Probably if it is an UK company there can be some pension available to him. I ask because in my case I was working for an international company which paid into my pension in Switzerland even if I was staying in a different country for working.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Paul, well done sir!