Marriage - Tourist Visa and 29 day waiver extension.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Northern Lights said:

Last time I had pesos before I went although the exchange rates and fees are high to do it here in the states by mail. There is no exchange booths prior to passing immigration that I remember? So, I would have to decide soon if I had some pesos sent to me prior to trip. 

No you wont find exchange booths prior to immigration. If the whole thing is daunting you can just take the 30 day waiver and pay a travel agent to extend your visa for you. Of course you will have you pay them around P1500. 

bigpearl
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

No you wont find exchange booths prior to immigration. If the whole thing is daunting you can just take the 30 day waiver and pay a travel agent to extend your visa for you. Of course you will have you pay them around P1500. 

JGF is correct with exchanging money once you land. Ain't going to happen so before you depart go to your banker/money changer in your home country and get minimum PHP 10K, your 59 day visa waiver with immi will cost you about PHP2.5 K. BTW PHP 10K won't last long once in your hotel. For me the pay at airport extension saves a trip to Intromouros or your local BI office after 29 days to meet the 30 day free visa when staying longer. This gives you nearly two months to consider your options.
Good luck and enjoy, It's more fun in the Philippines.

Cheers, Steve.

P.S. We are there once sometimes twice annually and always return to OZ with 10 to 20K ready for the next arrival.

Edited by bigpearl

Gator
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Northern Lights said:

I like the idea of doing extension at the airport and would prefer to do so.

Some say they have done so successfully and others not so much. Plus, I will be flying in at night and not sure if this service is available at that time. Another thing to is if the process is slow your luggage is waiting to be claimed after immigration.  That makes me a bit uncomfortable. 

Some say that they asked at customs where to go and where guided to an office. Others asked right ato the immigration booths. 

So, I'm not clear on this process?

Last time I had pesos before I went although the exchange rates and fees are high to do it here in the states by mail. There is no exchange booths prior to passing immigration that I remember? So, I would have to decide soon if I had some pesos sent to me prior to trip. 

I know some have discussed airport visa  extensions here if I remember correctly. Anyone else recently do this?

Thanks for info.

Immigration is before customs, so I’m not sure why “some say” would until after he cleared immi to ask about a visa. Don’t wait on line to ask - just look for the office or ask one of BI ppl who are roaming around where the office is at. 

Most of my previous flights arrived late or in the wee hours too. The office is open 24/7 and the process likely to be faster during those hours. 

Dont worry about your luggage, it’ll be safe in case there is some delay at the BI office. 

For future visits take pesos out with you. Your allowed to take 10k out of the country. That way you’ll have cash for your next visit. For this visit order it thru your own bank in the USA. Sure, you’re gonna take a hit on the exchange rate, but you’ll still come out ahead of you factor in what you’ll save - the express fee alone will offset the difference. And your time plus taxi fare to/from a BI office. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gator said:

Immigration is before customs, so I’m not sure why “some say” would until after he cleared immi to ask about a visa.

Wasn't said in this topic by our contributing members. :89:

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Wasn't said in this topic by our contributing members. :89:

OP probably got the (bad) info from another forum/board. 

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gator said:

OP probably got the (bad) info from another forum/board. 

Members.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

Members.

:wow: Sarcasm flows this week :wink:

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, bigpearl said:

Apparently guilty as charged.

:thumbsup:  LUV it Luv it but it's all good in the end. Even with the Google bit :whistling: :wink:

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Northern Lights said:

I like the idea of doing extension at the airport and would prefer to do so.

Some say they have done so successfully and others not so much. Plus, I will be flying in at night and not sure if this service is available at that time. Another thing to is if the process is slow your luggage is waiting to be claimed after immigration.  That makes me a bit uncomfortable. 

Some say that they asked at customs where to go and where guided to an office. Others asked right ato the immigration booths. 

So, I'm not clear on this process?

I know some have discussed airport visa  extensions here if I remember correctly. Anyone else recently do this?

Thanks for info.

I got the 59 day last time I came back in April this year. It was a midnight arrival, I forgot about getting it and stood in the immigration line but remembered as I was getting ready to give my passport to the officer so I told her I would like the 59 day Visa. She sent me to the office where I was taken care of. Since I was returning I already had pesos on me. I was taken back to the head of the immigration line to have my passport stamped. 

Even though I wasted time in line to start with, then waited in the office, there were still a few other people from my flight waiting for their luggage, although most had already gotten theirs and left. I was able to walk straight to mine and took it through customs with no line. I have been told by several people that they did not have pesos on them and one of the officers in the BI office either took them, or directed them, to an available ATM machine so they could pay for the 59 day.

Easy peasy, nothing to worry about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1