Advice on buying a condo for my GF

Raj
Posted
Posted

Hello. I want and gift to my GF a condo in Manila. We know the property. I just need some advice on the process.

1. Can I just pay for the condo from outside Phils and put the condo 100% in her name? 

2. Will this create a tax liability for her? If so is there another way to buy the condo?

4. Can anyone recommend a good real estate lawyer in Makati who can handle this?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Welcome

Yes can be 100 percent in her name and even yours. Is she Filipina? 

Are you sure you want to gift her a condo? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

1) Yes, you can send your lady friend the money to Philippines for her to buy a condo. 

2) I'm not sure the tax liability or other fee's involved purchasing a condo. 

3) I don't know any attorneys in Manila.

Some condos may be fully owned by a non Filipino citizen. 

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Raj said:
17 hours ago, Raj said:

17 hours ago, Raj said:

17 hours ago, Raj said:

Welcome to the forum Raj.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by bigpearl

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Hi Raj as has been highlighted it's your money to do as you wish but speaking as someone who has been taken to the cleaners by someone I love as has many on here I think you need to give your head a shake. The majority of condos in the Philippines you can buy outright yourself as long as the building has a 60/40 split with Filipinos owning the 60%. 

There's nothing to stop you from letting her live there for free just make up a lease for 10yrs at a time. I'm sure as she loves you she won't mind as once married it'll become matrimonial property anyway and she will have a legal claim to her share. Once married the lease cancels as you can't lease to a partner.

If she isn't happy with this arrangement run for the hills and thank whoever your god is that you had a lucky escape.

• Like 4

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Hi Raj as has been highlighted it's your money to do as you wish but speaking as someone who has been taken to the cleaners by someone I love as has many on here I think you need to give your head a shake. The majority of condos in the Philippines you can buy outright yourself as long as the building has a 60/40 split with Filipinos owning the 60%. 

There's nothing to stop you from letting her live there for free just make up a lease for 10yrs at a time. I'm sure as she loves you she won't mind as once married it'll become matrimonial property anyway and she will have a legal claim to her share. Once married the lease cancels as you can't lease to a partner.

If she isn't happy with this arrangement run for the hills and thank whoever your god is that you had a lucky escape.

Heed wisely Raj, due diligence etc. Good thoughts and experience Snowy, that's why we are here. 

Or no lease just an available abode owned by Raj.

Cheers, Steve.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Don't be surprised if you meet your GF at the condo you purchased for her, there will be a whole bunch of people living there. This is known as the "extended family system" in the Philippines. 

As you purchasing the condo as a gift or because she needs a place to stay? Is she is a new GF or someone you have known at least for one year?

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:44 AM, Raj said:

Will this create a tax liability for her?

She will have to pay property tax yearly. But this should not be a problem, even if the condo is in your name. I know from personal experience that as long as she has the deed and stuff she can pay the taxes at the town hall (I know because I pay all the taxes for relatives over seas lol)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 12/20/2017 at 10:44 PM, Raj said:

2. Will this create a tax liability for her? If so is there another way to buy the condo?

Another consideration is that there will be a monthly condo fee.  Usually they are based on the square meter floor area of the condo.