Dog laws

TunaT
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Gary D said:

There's two schools of thought about the rabbies vaccination. You need three shots as a preventative and four shots if you present in time. Many suggest wait until you think you need it. The problem with fines in the Philippines is what is the point of fining someone who hasn't got any money. And whose dog , I don't have a dog, that's not my dog......

They have money for cell phones, load, Tandua, and motorbikes. Don't tell me they don't have money to pay a fine. Thtát just a cop out/excuse.

TunaT
Posted
Posted

There seems to be considerable concern about all the loose dogs. Talk to your barangay captains, city counselors, mayors, and Congressmen about the problem. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. When they hear from enough people they will do something or be voted out of office. Don't wait for "someone else"to do it. 

This below is Dumaguete only. Google your town and I think you will be shocked at how many bites.

www.visayandailystar.com/2017/August/07/negor1.htm

Aug 7, 2017 - In lieu of this predicament, Socorro said the office has to simply campaign for dog leashing and extermination of stray dogs with the use of tranquilizers. An increase in dog bites were recorded in Dumaguete with 295 victims from January to March, and 298 from April to June this year, which Arbas said is ...

TunaT
Posted
Posted

Here ya go, this is Visayas only  19,382 bites in only the first 3 months of 2017. Anyone see a problem here ?

Get involved.

https://www.pressreader.com/philippines/manila-bulletin/20170804/281822873883451

Aug 4, 2017 - CEBU CITY – The number of animal bites cases in Central Visayas reached 19,382 in the first three months of this year, data released by the Department of Health (DOH) showed. DOH reported four persons died of rabies – three in Cebu province and one in Negros Oriental. Health officials were still ...

intrepid
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, scott h said:

I am not a medical expert, but this is MY experience. I got nipped by a neighbors pet dog (little yap yapper) wife insisted I get shots. Just went to the local general purpose clinic. Received a series of shots/ If memory serves, 1st then another in 30 days, another in 90, another in 180 and the last one at 365 days. I think they cost 2500 peso each.

I believe the shot through the belly is either the old way or after symptoms have presented themselves. But that is just a guess

Okay, for those interested in how a animal/dog bite is handled in the US or at least in the state of Maryland, I offer this information in case you find yourself bitten by any animal.  It should be noted that a deep scratch can also spread the rabies virus.  Once a bite/scratch is reported, the animal owner was contacted by local police or animal control officer and a short single half page report is filed and forwarded to the local health department.  The owner is at that time  required to quarantine the pet for 10 days(at their home), whether or not it has had the rabies vaccination, I was told this is because if the animal is infected, it will show symptoms within the 10 days.  The health department will then follow-up.  If within anytime the animal shows signs, the victim is then contacted and advised to seek treatment.  If the animal cannot be located and the owner unknown,  a report is still filed and the victim is advised to seek medical treatment.  What I found odd from this many years ago is that 10 day wait for possible treatment.  Apparently there is no dire rush for getting the shots, and maybe not even necessary.

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The advice I'd heard was to immediatly wash the wound with soap and water, then seek medical advice.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, TunaT said:

They have money for cell phones, load, Tandua, and motorbikes. Don't tell me they don't have money to pay a fine. Thtát just a cop out/excuse.

Welcome to the Philippines the land of the cop out.

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I'm not going to wait for the government to protect me from a aggressive dog. I have yet to encounter any here in Dumaguete but I carry a can of mace with me in case. Best to be prepared than to go through the cost and hassle of those shots. Mace is legal in the Philippines.   https://www.wikihow.com/Handle-a-Dog-Attack

Edited by Ram1957
spelling
  • Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
On 1/3/2018 at 11:22 PM, Gary D said:

When I have asked I've always been told that if it is for holiday it's not free. Same as Maleria drugs etc.

I told the surgery nurse I was emigrating maybe that made a difference. Maybe I just had a nice nurse!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

As another poster pointed out, no one is going to claim ownership of a stray dog that bit someone, and the stray dog is not going to have the 500 peso to pay the fine. :boohoo:  The root cause of the problem is poverty and the fact that the great majority of Filipinos do not neuter/spay their pets, much less get the shots to keep them healthy.  I think the only way to reduce the problem until this attitude changes is to round up the strays.  Hold them for x number of days.  If an "owner" comes forward they can only claim the dog after paying for mandatory shots and neuter (or a penalty equivalent to the cost of neuter).   The same could apply if someone wants to adopt the dog.  Otherwise the dog is euthanized.    The problem of course is where to get the funds to open and maintain shelters for the animals.  :89:   I fully expect some criticism for this post about the cruelty of killing dogs.  I love dogs, always have, and paid dearly to have our two dogs flown from the USA to the Philippines.  But I also have a greater love for the Philippine people and especially for the children who are at risk of dog bites.  The number of strays has to be greatly reduced to address the problem.  

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 1/5/2018 at 7:10 AM, Mike J said:

As another poster pointed out, no one is going to claim ownership of a stray dog that bit someone, and the stray dog is not going to have the 500 peso to pay the fine. :boohoo:  The root cause of the problem is poverty and the fact that the great majority of Filipinos do not neuter/spay their pets, much less get the shots to keep them healthy.  I think the only way to reduce the problem until this attitude changes is to round up the strays.  Hold them for x number of days.  If an "owner" comes forward they can only claim the dog after paying for mandatory shots and neuter (or a penalty equivalent to the cost of neuter).   The same could apply if someone wants to adopt the dog.  Otherwise the dog is euthanized.    The problem of course is where to get the funds to open and maintain shelters for the animals.  :89:   I fully expect some criticism for this post about the cruelty of killing dogs.  I love dogs, always have, and paid dearly to have our two dogs flown from the USA to the Philippines.  But I also have a greater love for the Philippine people and especially for the children who are at risk of dog bites.  The number of strays has to be greatly reduced to address the problem.  

I understand what you're saying Mike, but from my experience, the dog bites that I'm aware of here, were coming from private dog owners' dogs. It seems that any strays a die off or aggressive dogs might be quickly dispatched by some drinking session members at times.  When we had our new puppy neutered, it didn't cost anything at the local town vet office. We gave a nominal tip because we were very grateful, but it wasn't required. When we mentioned to neighbors that we had had our pet neutered, they were totally unaware of such free services, as well of keeping in mind about when free anti-rabies shots would be given house to house every year either. Even though they had puppies and dogs that could also be neutered, they were not willing or able able to follow through though, for one reason or another, possibly due to lack of funds for transporting their dog to the local clinic maybe? I think that more public education on the part of local governments would get the importance of being proactive about animal control and protection is necessary. Not sure if this will happen over time though.

• Like 2